wall socket

Old 04-26-08, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question wall socket

Hi i have alum wiring in my house and one of my wall sockets shorted the other day I took back the part as far as i could see that was damaged and put on a new wall socket black to brass and white to the silver post.I checked to see if i had power when i put the fuse back in and tested it with a tester and it showed it was live but when i tried a light or tv nothing happened.took it apart again and same thing nothing working but power to the outlet.Any suggestions?
Barry Taylor
Thanking you in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-08, 06:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You may have an open neutral. With that said, and that's as far as I'll take it, consult a licensed electrician, as aluminum wiring takes special handling, and is not necessarily safe for the diy situation.

Old 04-26-08, 07:19 PM
Oh Man.,,

with the alum wires they are little more trickier than stand run of mill copper wires and they will need specal termation to properly splices the wire to the devices and some devices have specal marking say CU/ALR or CU/AL genrally are more expensive than standard repectales or switches.,,

But however really my suggest as Chandler say that you have open netural which i agree with that part and yes i really recomoned you get the electrician to come out and have them properly temated it right there are few specal methold to done right.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-28-08, 08:54 PM
I would get someone who specializes in aluminum wiring to fix the outlet as well as evaluate the entire electrical system in your house.