Question about dc to ac inverters

Old 04-27-08, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about dc to ac inverters

Can I run a 15,000 btu ac air conditioner on a dc to ac inverter without any problems?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-08, 10:01 AM
Received 84 Votes on 77 Posts
You should be able to if the inverter is big enough and the proper voltage.

Old 04-27-08, 10:03 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, but the cost of batteries and the inverter would be more then the cost of the AC. With out a very large battery bank the inverter wouldn't work very long. May I ask why? If this is for your car you could probably get by with a 5000 Btu AC. At a guess you would need a 10-15 thousand watt 120v inverter for a 15,000 BTU AC. It would have to have a much higher surge rating to handle start amps. Most commonly available seem to top out at 5000w with a 10000w surge rating but that was just a quick Google.

Of course that is assuming 120v AC. At 240v you'd be deep in commercial inverter territoru and even more expensive.

Old 04-27-08, 11:22 AM
Yes, but it's going to be expensive. Is this for a motorhome, so you can have the A/C running while you drive down the road? You'll probably need to add extra deep-cycle batteries and a larger alternator, and you probably won't be able to start the A/C without the engine running. You'll also want to have some way to switch the A/C between inverter power and shore power.

Old 04-27-08, 11:47 AM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
Tell us more about your idea. Is this for a use away from commercial power? Does it need to be portable?

While theoretically possible the devil is in the details.

And it won't be inexpensive.

Old 04-27-08, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the responses! I created this account for someone that wanted me to ask this question to you all.

The air-conditioner is for his bus that he drives for a living.

The guy went down there and tested it right after I posted this question and setting the inverter at 15,000 btu did work like you all said.

Basically, the guy's concern was that the inverter that he purchased was really draining his battery and I guess he hope to reduce to the btu to see if that wouldn't drain the battery as fast.

Now he is talking about adding another alternator or something like that.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-27-08, 12:16 PM
i think he would be money ahead to find a air cond shop that specializes in add on air, the weight and cost would probably be better. for instance he already has the engine running on the bus so adding ac to that would lesson the amount of complexity he is running into.
life begins when the kids leave home and the dogs die

Old 04-27-08, 01:35 PM
Received 84 Votes on 77 Posts
How do you set the inverter for 15,000 BTU? The size of the battery will determine how long it runs. I can't imagine a normal car or truck battery running the AC for very long before going dead. A bigger alternator won't help unless he is leaving the engine running.

Old 04-27-08, 03:59 PM
Today's high-efficiency 15k BTU room air conditioners are pulling around 1,500 watts running, and about twice that at startup.

Seems like a 2,000 watt power inverter w/4,000 watt surge could run the AC unit all day long as long as the bus engine is running, some seriously fat cables are feeding the inverter directly from the battery, and either a second dedicated alternator is installed or the original is replaced with something that will handle the extra load.

Old 04-27-08, 04:59 PM
which type of bus it is ??

school bus type

Motor coach type [ simuair to Greyhound bus ]

or other ??

some of the coach i know they have two choice with the A/C on the road operation they useally have engine driven A/C to handle the cooling issuse but however if you have just standard A/C sorta like wall mounted type [ window shaker type ] you will need to run the inverter with very large alternator but keep in mind most hiway coach [ greyhound bus type ] genrally have 24 volt for their system so watch out with that and they useally have 200~300 amp alternator on it allready.

but condering why not install a genertor to run the AC A/C unit while on the road and also can used when you park the coach.

there is few options you can go from there

Merci,Marc