Change A Light Switch To A Receptacle

Old 04-27-08, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Change A Light Switch To A Receptacle

HI; I POSTED BACK IN MARCH BUT HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO GET BACK UNTIL TODAY. I HAVE A ATTACHED GARAGE UNDER MY HOUSE. THERE ARE TWO LIGHT SWITCHES IN ONE BOX. I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE ONE OF THEM INTO A RECEPTACLE FOR A SMALL FREEZER. THESE SWITCHES RUN A SET OF OUT DOOR GARAGE LIGHTS. MY HOUSE WAS BUILT IN 1950 AND THE WIRING TO THE GARAGE IS THE ORIGINAL. THE SWITCH I WANT TO KEEP HAS ONE RED AND TWO BLACK WIRES ATTACHED WITH TWO WHITE WIRES NUTTED TOGETHER. THE SWITCH I WANT TO REPLACE WITH A RECEPTACLE HAS ONE WHITE WIRE ATTACHED AND A RED AND BLACK WIRE NUTTED TOGETHER. I'M TOTALLY IN THE DARK WHAT TO DO. BECAUSE THIS IS A SMALL JOB I CAN'T GET ANYONE TO COME TO MY HOUSE TO DO IT FOR ME. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I TOOK THE TIME TO TAKE SOME DIGITAL PHOTOS. THANKS QUENTIN

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-08, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I TOOK THE TIME TO TAKE SOME DIGITAL PHOTOS. THANKS QUENTIN
Remove the caps lock from your keyboard and post your pics......

Provided there are live wires in the switchbox, and you are not dealing with a switch "LOOP" ...This doesnt sound all that tuff......

Using a two wire tester..ensure you have live wires you can use...and we'll go from there.

Old 04-27-08, 11:42 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
I HAVE A ATTACHED GARAGE UNDER MY HOUSE. :
I sure hope it's attached.

while you are working on the pics. you also need to find out what is on the circuit that feeds those switches (as in everything) and what size breaker is used.