Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Changing breakers from on a 50 amp subpanel from 120 volts to 240volts.

Old 04-27-08, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all:

First of all thanks to all the pros for making this forum a great place for advice.

Here's my situation. I have a 50 amp subpanel by my pool. My electric bill goes through the roof in the summer. Pool guy said to change breakers from 120 to 240 and that would substantially lower the electric bill.

Is it as simple as changing the breakers or does the panel need rewiring all the way from the house. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-08, 12:15 PM
Your pool guy is full of bologna. Contact your local power company, they may have some reliable information on how to lower your bill.

Old 04-27-08, 12:21 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
first, this is a myth and he is wrong.

second, the work is a lot more entailed than you would want to do, most likely.

you are charged by the "watt". On your bill, it will show kWh which is kilowatt hours.

a watt is a watt and that is what any power consuming device is rated in, one way or another. This is not something you can change.

Look up ohm's law. the calculations for a watt will show you that using either voltage, to end up with the same wattage, all you change is the current flow. You cannot change the amount of watts needed by changing the voltage.

Old 04-27-08, 01:17 PM
First thing first .,,

whatever did the pool guy try to tell ya the silly thing.,,,

you are paying for watts not voltage at all.,,

now senice you say got high power bill during summer time if so sound like you have A/C running or something that draw a bit of power.

here my suggest is that first thing is mapped out all the circuit for both main breaker box and subpanel then you can able trace down what is useing alots of power.

i know there a simple gimzo and few readers and members mention a plug in wattmeter it can tell the power useage

this device i think it can be found in almost everywhere if i am reading this right

you can have power company to come out and check their electric meter to make sure it is calberated properly also.

they may have something can help with your sisuation.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-27-08, 08:16 PM
You may be able to convert some loads to 240V (such as larger motors), which you would change the breaker to a two pole. You won't save significantly power on your bill though. You would get more of the power you are paying for at the motor, rather than lost in the wiring.