Breaker not tripping?

Old 04-28-08, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker not tripping?

Hello,

I'm experiencing intermittent power outages on multiple circuits in my home. This occurs a few times a day. Some parts of the house remain powered, but several other places do not (and these are always the same places). No breakers are being tripped. The outage lasts anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes, but power is always restored. This might happen during the day when a couple of lights are on, or a computer, but it also happens at night when very few appliances in the house are on. The utility company claims it is not on their end. We've had our breaker panel replaced recently to solve this problem, but it didn't do any good. I want to gain some insight so that I can be prepared to talk with my electrician who replaced the breaker panel. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-08, 06:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
By all means call back in the electrician for a test, but don't let the POCO dismiss you too quickly. If you have a voltmeter, when this happens, and you feel safe doing it, remove the cover of the breaker panel and check the voltage from the two primary wires to neutral to see if there is power supplied to the buss bars. It sounds to me as if you either have a bad connection from the meter base to the buss bars in the panel, OR, the POCO's transformer is faulty and you are losing one side of your entrance. I had a similar experience once, and it turned out (after many heated conversations with the POCO) their transformer had one bad leg, and had to be replaced. They kept telling me it was on my end.

Old 04-28-08, 06:14 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Power Loss

Look for loose back-stab connections.
Reset breakers, even though the breakers do not appear to be tripped.
Could be a bad breaker.

Old 04-28-08, 06:22 AM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
If it is more than one circuit then the problem is from the main breaker back to the POCO. Did the POCO actually come out and inspect your service drop lines?