Hello all

Old 04-30-08, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello all

I'm a new member to the forum, and I have a technical question right off the bat. I am in the porcess from upgrading from 100A to 200A service using 3(3/0) wires and a1/0 for a floating ground. The problem I have ran across is that my indicator marking for the wires (2 hots and neutral) have smeared off when I pulled them to the subpanel, so my question is what can possibly happen when I have my power reconnected with the wiring in this scenario?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-08, 06:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ohms test them (continuity is what you are looking for) between each end to find the neutral one. That is the one that counts.

Use an extension cord or other wire, if need be, for a long jumper between each end.

Old 04-30-08, 06:58 PM
you'll want to get them ohm'd out placed positively in their place. If you should switch a hot and a neutral chances are if you're ground is bonded to your neutral strip, it'll either make a ton of noise and then trip out whatever protection is on the far end of your service, but chances are something could blow, like literally grenade on you. But lets say you're not grounded, ok, now you're putting 120v on the neutrals of your devices in your house, (with the exception of you lights) most things don't like that and will probably burn up.

So play'r safe and put the hots on your main lugs and your neutral in its lug .

Old 05-01-08, 06:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
It is absolutely imperative that you correctly re-identify which wire is which before energizing this. It could blow up in your face as was stated previously.

What did you use to identify the wires the first time?

Old 05-01-08, 08:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
Most installations in my area use 3 similarly sized conductors for H/H/N, and the neutral is marked on both ends by a spiral of white tape, about 2' long. There's absolutely no confusion which wire is neutral.

On a different subject, what's the floating ground?

Old 05-01-08, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Zorfdt View Post
Most installations in my area use 3 similarly sized conductors for H/H/N, and the neutral is marked on both ends by a spiral of white tape, about 2' long. There's absolutely no confusion which wire is neutral.

On a different subject, what's the floating ground?
When you come in from the pole, the poco uses the three wires, (two hots and a neutral) to connect the meter. After the meter, there are four wire lug connections after the main breaker side (two hots, neutral, and a floating ground.) the floating ground lug is assembled on the neutral bar after the meter connections in the meter main combo box, which is to be ran from this connection to the ground connection inside of the subpanel. I suspect this for some protection of all of the circuits inside the panel. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) The way I found out is at my local HD an electrician saw me buying the wire I needed and told me I could've bought service entrance wire that had all the wires together in a sheild (4/0,4/0,4/0,2/0 aluminum) a lot less than what I paid for the copper setup (3/0,3/0,3/0,1/0 copper).

Old 05-01-08, 12:19 PM
Can I check for continuity by dissassembling the splice connection in the junction box or do I have to go all the way to the box?

I used a permanent paint marker to identify the wires. When I pulled them through the pipe it rubbed off the thin layer of shielding.