Add second light to existing light switch

Old 05-01-08, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add second light to existing light switch

I am planning on adding a second light( basement) to an existing single pole light switch. Can I simply get a double pole switch and put the exisiting two wires( one black,one white) on one side? Then put the new wire from the new light to the other side? Thanks, Harold.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-08, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
With only a black and a white attached to the switch you have a switch loop. Unless there are other wires tucked in the back of the box you do not have all the required wires for a new fixture.

Do you want the 2nd fixture to work at the same time as the first fixture?

Old 05-03-08, 02:13 AM
1. Run the Romex from your new fixture into the switchbox, then wirenut-pigtail the 2 blacks together, adding a short 3rd wire to the wirenutted pigtail. Do the same for the whites. Then connect the short white & the short black wires to the switch's 2 screws;
or
2. Run the new fixture's Romex to the old fixture's box & wirenut the 2 Romex blacks together with the existing fixture's black wire & the same for the whites.

What you want to do is fairly simple. Basically, you're parallel-wiring 2 fixtures together, which can be accomplished in either the existing fixture's box or the switchbox.

Old 05-03-08, 07:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin-in-idaho View Post
1. Run the Romex from your new fixture into the switchbox, then wirenut-pigtail the 2 blacks together, adding a short 3rd wire to the wirenutted pigtail. Do the same for the whites. Then connect the short white & the short black wires to the switch's 2 screws;
This option would not work. There would need to be power at new fixture. This would only create a switch loop.

Old 05-03-08, 11:23 PM
To PCBOSS: Thanks for the correction. Revised below...

For all you long-timers here:
My posts WILL become shorter.
Sorry for what probably appears to be unnecessarily huge posts.
I'm a newbie here.
I get easily excited.

hehehe

Originally Posted by kevin-in-idaho View Post
<center></center>
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
This option would not work. There would need to be power at new fixture. This would only create a switch loop.
wow.
*I* wrote that???
hey... i think a gremlin changed all that after i posted it....

wow.
STUPID mistake I made of a very simple circuit there.
Ya, Case #1 I is a brain fart I booboo'd.
dumb. bad plumbing.

My original "Case #2" will work whether the circuit's input power originates in either the light box OR in the switch box.

In electrical work, I work much better with pics I sketch than with words.
Here's a couple of schematics that are up to par for the 2 scenarios as far as origination of circuit input power is concerned:

OKI'mdone. I've beat this thing to death......

Last edited by kevin-in-idaho; 05-03-08 at 11:40 PM.