Running Electricty Underground Outside

Old 05-03-08, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running Electricty Underground Outside

<Not sure if this is the correct forum.. if not please move>

My wife and i have a small ornamental pond (6' x 4' L/W, 3.5' deep) which we have several items running via a plug in box and extension chord. We'd like to have it be safer (from rain) and underground with only a gfci with a cover instead of wires and a plastic outlet box.

I have a friend who is an electrician who said he'd do the work for us and i offered to dig the trench from the house to the pond.

What i'm confused about is what tool to use. I know i could use a standard shovel but i know i'd just dig up way too much dirt that way. Is there a type of shovel / tool that i can use to dig a trench that is a little wider than a hand and a half? Oh and how deep should i do it?

Any other advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-08, 12:37 PM
A sharp shooter shovel has a narrow blade. Also manual post hole digger will work.

Old 05-03-08, 12:45 PM
Great ty.

How bout the dimensions?

Old 05-03-08, 01:02 PM
Will make a trench approx. 5 to 6" wide from 2 to 24" deep
Google "lowe's"
Search for "shovels"
Look for trench spade or drain spade

Old 05-03-08, 02:07 PM
How far is it? If it is an arbitrarily long distance, consider renting a trencher.

The trenching shovel is a necessity. Works great in clay to give you a nice clean trench.

Don't forget to mark your proposed route and contact your utility locator service, and remember that you are responsible for locating any private utilities such as lawn sprinklers, hydrant lines and electrical branch circuits.

Depending on the seasonal water table height in your area, a pump or shop vac may be helpful, too.

Old 05-03-08, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the info... it's about 30 feet from the house at a down ward slope but nothing major.

I bought a 5" trenching shovel and knocked out 3/4th's of it already. Marked the route with spray paint in the grass and from the 13 trees and myriads of bushes we've put in i already know the existing lines in the yard don't cross where i'm digging.

Now i just have to get it about 6 more inches deep and that's some seriously hard clay.. pick axe here i come