Simple Light Switch Question

Old 05-04-08, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Simple Light Switch Question

I'm replacing a light switch in a bedroom. I'm not doing any new wiring, just replacing an old brown switch with a white one to better match the newly painted room decor. It's a standard Leviton toggle switch, nothing fancy. The old switch doesn't have a ground screw and never had one by the looks of it. The new switch has a ground screw on the left side of the toggle. The box is plastic so the ground wires coming into and out of the box are connected to each other only.

The question is, do I need to ground this switch or can I just connect it like the old one which had no ground? I would have just gone ahead and done it(connected a new ground to the switch) but there isn't much extra existing ground lead to work off of so it will be a PITA to reach.

Thanks!

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-08, 02:55 PM
Yes, that switch needs connected to those ground wires.

Old 05-04-08, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 29 Posts
Just add a short length of green or bare #14 or #12 to the ground wires in the box and cap with a twist-on wire connector. Attach the free end to the terminal on the switch by looping clockwise around the screw.

Old 05-04-08, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Just add a short length of green or bare #14 or #12 to the ground wires in the box and cap with a twist-on wire connector. Attach the free end to the terminal on the switch by looping clockwise around the screw.
That's what I figured. Will do.