Easy three-way question

Old 05-11-08, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Easy three-way question

I just moved into a brand new house. I tried to install my dining room lamp. There are two (three way) wall switches for it. I expected to find three wires in the ceiling but found four (B/W/R/G). The lamp I am installing has only two wires. I know the bare wire (G) is ground, but how do I connect the Black/White/Red to the two wires on my lamp?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-08, 11:25 PM
The reason why they put in a extra wire due you may have seprated fan and light control in case you used the celing fan.

To hook up the luminaire.,, you can use either black or red wire to black luminaire wire and white wire to white luminaire wire and green luminaire wire to ground wire [ either green or bare wire ]

That all you need to do.

Make sure you capped off any unused wire.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-11-08, 11:32 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
HawaiiThad, what did you mean by two three way switches? Did you mean two switches on opposite sides of the room or did you mean two side by side in the same box?

Old 05-12-08, 12:25 AM
The former, two switches, one on each side of the room.

Old 05-12-08, 12:45 AM
Ok., so if only 4 wire in the cileing box there is no other wire are wirenutted to other cables ??

and i know you say one switch on each wall both are three way and do you have one location have two switches ? the reason i ask about this because the three way's useally controlled the light while a seprated single pole switch is used for fan.

let us know

Merci,Marc

Old 05-12-08, 01:12 AM
The house is definitely not set up switch-wise for separate ceiling fan/light controls. I'll test the everything with my voltmeter tomorrow (if I can find the box it's in) now that i have a good idea of what should be what and am confident I won't blow anything up during my first week here. ;-)

Mahalo (Hawaiian thanks) to all.

Old 05-12-08, 01:24 AM
Ahh ok now we are getting somewhere now.,,

Before you do anything else more at the junction box i know you told me there is 4 wires there but really it don't sound right for a min unless you got one wire is hot all the time and second wire for switched.

you can test that with test light to find out which one is hot and switched hot.

That detail i describing if you only have one cable going in the box but if two cables in the box the bet is off due little more compated step to find out.

Let us know how you come out with test light first.
If not let us know we have few more tricks up our sleeve.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-13-08, 04:18 PM
Ok, I got my voltmeter and tested the wiring with the switches both on and off. I got some results that seemed strange to me.

The voltage goes from 0 to 120 across the black and white pair, depending on the switch positions. This makes sense. What I still am unclear about is the other (red) wire. I got really odd voltage readings across other pairs of wires like 50 and 70 volts.

One thing I forgot to mention is that my switches are all illuminated (looks like this, but the specs may not be the same: http://www.smarthome.com/4246w.html). So the red wire is for that, right? How do I hook it up?

Thanks.

Old 05-25-08, 01:45 PM
*bump* (hmm, it says I have to put in 15 characters)

Old 05-25-08, 01:55 PM
Ok now i can see ya mean on that one.,,

What you should do is take the swtich off from the wall [ do not remove the wires at all ] and tell us all the wires in the switch that way i can able determed which one is correct one to hook up.

The darker colour screw on the three way's are common or marked " common " the bright brass colours those are travllers both location then from there we can able give you the correct hook up.

The switch you mention that they are luminated it work either way the switch will lit up when you turn them off or other verison will lit up when you turn them on. both have differnt hook up pattern.

However for most lited switch when they lit up when the switch is off if hook up properly and have lightbulb in there it will work but with CFL it may not work properly.

I will dig up a connection diagram and post it as soon i find it unless someone beat me to this one.

Merci,Marc