Another outlet queston...

Old 05-14-08, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Another outlet queston...

I just moved into my new house and am now finding out just how much of an inconvenience it is having three hole outlets for only half of the house. How can I change the old two hole outlets to the three hole ones?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-08, 04:17 PM
Since it does not have all 3 prong outlets, I have to assume an older house??? The existing 3 prong outlets may not be illegal. If there is not a complete ground system that goes back to the main panel, you cannot install 3 prong outlets to replace 2 prong, without installing a grounding conductor. There must be a ground connection!!! That said, buy an inexpensive test plug and check the 3 prong outlets. If they check OK(not showing missing ground), you should be able to replace the old 2 prong with 3 prong outlets.

Old 05-14-08, 06:24 PM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
If there is no ground present in the box to connect to the new receptacles or you can instll GFCI receptacles. The GFCI will not actually have a ground but they are legal and safe.

Old 05-14-08, 06:42 PM
This is exactly the project I am working on right now. If I may make a suggestion, if you are remodeling room by room, you shoud consider switching out the old wires if they are knob and tube instead of just adding a ground. You'll be surprised how easy parts of the job can be, and how difficult others can. I have found every person on this site to be extraordinarily helpful in answering my questions. The more you ask before you start a projec, the less likeley you are to kill yourself doing it.

Old 05-14-08, 07:47 PM
Hmm ok thanks allot for all your advice and input. I'll be checking all of the plugs with three holes to see what the grounding situation is tomorrow. Again, thanks for the help!