Where is the short?

Old 05-15-08, 04:00 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where is the short?

Our garbage disposal is plugged into an outlet under the sink next to our dishwasher and is controlled by a combination outlet / switch on the counter. One day the garbage disposal could not be turned off by the switch. I replaced the switch with a GFI outlet / switch. When I placed the plug for the disposal in the nonswitched outlet under the sink, the GFI tripped. There is no power in the switched outlet regardless of switch position. The garbage disposal is operational with power from an extension cord. I then replaced the outlet under the sink with no change in the situation. We had our dishwasher replaced three years ago and no other work has been done near that area.

Both the switch and outlet were replaced one wire at a time to maintain the original wiring and all connections and visible wire appeared intact.

Old 05-15-08, 04:54 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If it was a non GFCI receptacle you replaced with a GFCI receptacle then you can't go by the
position of the wires on the old receptacle. You must go by function of each connection on the GFCI receptacle. The line in wires must go to the line in side of the GFCI receptacle. If you have both a switched and un-switched receptacle under the sink then there should be three wires. A red, a black, and a white. Before we go further is that what you have in the box under the sink?

Lets assume it is. Lets assume that the garbage disposal outlet has the red wire. Then at the switch/receptacle box the switch would have the red wire attached to one screw. There would be a jumper between the LINE side of the GFCI and the switch. The black wire from the dish washer would go to the LOAD side of the GFCI.

Ideally both the GD and the DW should go to the LOAD side of the GFCI but if the GB is tripping the GFCI and local code permits you can plug it in to a non-protected receptacle. You should though consider replacing the GD.

Note at the receptacle in the cabinet the hot side link between the two receptacles must be broken. I have omitted neutral and ground connections. If you need help on those post back.

Old 05-15-08, 06:30 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I did replace a non GFCI switch with a GFCI switch.

There are switched and nonswitched receptacles under the sink. The nonswitched receptacle trips the GFCI when any appliance (crock pot in my case) is plugged in. The switched receptacle does not have power in any switch position.

I do not see jumpers on the GFCI receptacle / switch.

Would you suggest I try a new non-GFCI receptacle / switch?

Old 05-15-08, 06:58 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Most garbage dispoal and dishwasher useally don't use the GFCI at all.

However if you have to use the garbage dispoal how you did hook up the GFCI switch this set up ??

and most GFCI recepetale and swtich combation verison do have seperated connections as you will see two wires comming from switch side and two wire connections for GFCI repectale only.

as far for GFCI below the cabent hook up to line side only.

You will see marking say " line " and " load "

Merci,Marc

Old 05-15-08, 08:16 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I am totally confused about what you have above the counter? Do you have a switch and receptacle or just a switch? Is there a switch with a GFCI built in or is it a switch and a separate GFCI receptacle. What is below is it just an ordinary duplex receptacle? At one point you say, "I did replace a non GFCI switch with a GFCI switch." but then you say "GFCI receptacle / switch" suggesting a combo unit.

Old 05-15-08, 08:33 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks Ray for pointing it out i guess i need extra hevey duty for a min.,,

let the OP reply to see excat where he is on setup right now.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: