Elec Motor Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-17-08, 05:12 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Elec Motor Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Delta/Baldor 2hp/1ph motor from a table saw. Brought it to a motor shop and they wanted an ungodly sum to clean, replace capacitor/starter/points on the motor and reassemble. Got it back after diagnostic. I'm mechanically inclined but never have done electronics. Is this something that can be done by a diy? He said the windings look good..

Old 05-17-08, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
What exactly is the problem with it?

Old 05-17-08, 08:48 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nothing

When I finally plugged it in nothing happened. Motor shop said the motor worked intermittently when the had it. They also said the lvc and on/off switch needed work. Here are pics:

http://www.europeanresale.com/galler...el=album&id=88

Old 05-17-08, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
Curious to know what an "ungodly price" is?
It is common for a professional motor repair shop to charge about half the cost of a replacement to recondition a motor and offer a warranty on their work.

It is most common for the starting switch to cause intermittent operation.
You could try to carefully polish the contacts but some have a silver coating that if worn off will quickly build up carbon deposits.
Generally a capacitor either works or it doesn't but if the post is loose you would experience the symptoms you are experiencing.

Clean the contacts, replace the capacitor and see how it goes.
You would have to go to a motor shop to purchase a starting switch and a capacitor that will fit in the electrical box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: