Oops, hole to big for receptacle box

Old 05-17-08, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oops, hole to big for receptacle box

Here's a unique one...

I had to enlarge a couple outlet box holes in my plaster because modern boxes are larger. Anyone ever try to guesstimate and end up making it too tall so that old work box "ears" no longer catch on the plaster? Hopefully I'm not the only one caught day dreaming and messed one up. What would you do to fix this?

If I just lob some patching plaster in there, it will crack and fall apart as soon as the slightest pressure is applied to it. What fix would be rigid enough to hold a box in place and hold up to years of use?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-08, 01:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If you have enough slack behind the ears, you can hot glue a piece of lattice wider than the hole up behind the hole to the correct size, install the box to where the ears grab the wall and the lattice, then fill the hole with plaster. It should hold without cracking the plaster.

Old 05-17-08, 02:57 PM
That's a good idea. I considered some kind of wood reinforcement but had no idea what kind of adhesive would stick well to plaster and wood. It's the front top and bottom surface flush ears I'm referring to. I'll attempt to hot glue in place a peice of lattice on the bottom inside edge of my hole.

Old 05-17-08, 05:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
It would require a small spackle and paint but you could also run drywall screws into a piece of wood instead of the hot melt.

Old 05-18-08, 11:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And run the piece of wood beyond the hole for not only screwing under the hole but alongside. And always remember that silicone caulk makes and excellent adhesive for many applications, and has denture grip- like suction power. I've held up ceiling tiles with it.