Kitchen Outlet Locations

Old 05-18-08, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Outlet Locations

How far apart should Kitchen- over the counter outlets be? Does the code specify the minimum, or maximum distance between them? I have 3 outlets spread 30 inches between the 1st 2 and 16 inches between the other 2...

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-08, 11:30 AM
heres what i understand, you've got to have one with in 24 inches of the edge of the counter top. And there shall be no space on the wall greater than 24" without an outlet. So basically they can't be any more than 24" apart, and you're not required to put an outlet behind a sink or range. So it sounds to me like you need to do some shuffling, maybe and another outlet.

I think that's determined right, they couldn't just word it in plain english in the code.

gl
nova_gh
master electrician

Old 05-18-08, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by nova_gh View Post
... And there shall be no space on the wall greater than 24" without an outlet. So basically they can't be any more than 24" apart...
Actually, what 210.52(C)(1) says, in part and slightly paraphrased: "Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point on the wall line is more than 24" from a receptacle."

That would mean they could be no more than 48" apart. Sometimes further apart because wall space behind ranges and sinks doesn't count.

I think...

Old 05-18-08, 03:04 PM
Received 111 Votes on 101 Posts
So basically they can't be any more than 24" apart,
They can be 48" apart. If you put something in the middle of two receptacles 48" apart it will only be 24" from either one of them.

Old 05-18-08, 04:01 PM
Keep in mind that the responses so far have just answered your question. They do not tell you everything you need to know to wire a countertop. If you are wiring a countertop, please get and read the inexpensive green paperback, Wiring Simplified.

Old 05-18-08, 05:00 PM
John Nelson pretty much hit right on the spot and also keep in your mind in the USA it reqired min of 2 SABC in the kitchen area.

Canada requirement is very simuair but not the excat the same so check with your local area for latest info related to this.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-18-08, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by ByteWrangler View Post
Actually, what 210.52(C)(1) says, in part and slightly paraphrased: "Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point on the wall line is more than 24" from a receptacle."

That would mean they could be no more than 48" apart. Sometimes further apart because wall space behind ranges and sinks doesn't count.

I think...
I had reviewed the 210.52 article, i don't know though, you're going to have to explain this further to me because it seems to me that if he's got 3 outlets in a row on the same wall they need to be 24"s apart. I don't understand where your getting 48". I'm just curious, thats all.

Old 05-18-08, 08:06 PM
If you have a receptacle every 48", then no point on the wall line is more than 24" from a receptacle. I.e., at any point along the wall, there will always be a receptacle either within 2 feet to the left, or within 2 feet to the right.

The model to keep in mind is a kitchen appliance with a 2-foot cord. You should be able to put it anywhere against the backspash and plug it in. If there was a receptacle every 24 inches, you would always have two options for plugging it in, and code doesn't require two options--just one.

The same model applies to the 6/12 rule for general receptacles in other rooms. A floor lamp with a 6-foot cord should be able to be put anywhere along the wallboard (without running it through a doorway).

A 6-foot cord would be a hazard on a kitchen counter, which is why the spacing is stricter there.

Old 05-19-08, 11:19 AM
Thank you very much, that helps......

Joe

Old 05-19-08, 07:41 PM
yup, that explains it, thanks.

Old 05-23-08, 07:53 PM
Followup question:
It was my understanding that consecutive outlets in a kitchen had to be on different breakers.
(Example: 4 outlets on one wall. Outlets 1 & 3 had to be on one breaker, outlets 2 & 4 had to be on another breaker).
Or am I mistaken?

Old 05-23-08, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Skramy View Post
Followup question:
It was my understanding that consecutive outlets in a kitchen had to be on different breakers.
(Example: 4 outlets on one wall. Outlets 1 & 3 had to be on one breaker, outlets 2 & 4 had to be on another breaker).
Or am I mistaken?
You are mistaken. This is not a requirement of the NEC.

Old 05-24-08, 08:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is proper form however. If one GFCI trips or goes bad, you still have working outlets that are evenly spaced (every other). And since you are required to have 2 circuits regardless, why would you do it any other way?