Does a lit wire tester mean hot wires??

Old 05-18-08, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Does a lit wire tester mean hot wires??

Seeking help for this stupid question: Trying to remove old dishwasher to replace the next and I'm testing wether the wires are live or not after shutting the breaker. When I touch the black wire tester the the black wire and the red wire tester to the white, the tester lights up. Does this mean the wires have not actually been shut??? I'm pretty sure I did shut the right breaker. Or does the lit tester mean the wires ARE shut and I can proceed. Waiting for help before moving forward!!! Thanks everyone for helping this novice.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-08, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by SingleMomFixer View Post
Seeking help for this stupid question: Trying to remove old dishwasher to replace the next and I'm testing wether the wires are live or not after shutting the breaker. When I touch the black wire tester the the black wire and the red wire tester to the white, the tester lights up. Does this mean the wires have not actually been shut??? I'm pretty sure I did shut the right breaker. Or does the lit tester mean the wires ARE shut and I can proceed. Waiting for help before moving forward!!! Thanks everyone for helping this novice.
Dear SingleFixerMom
The circuit to your old dishwasher is still HOT, that's what the lit test light indicates. My first guess would be that the breakers in your circuit breaker panel are labeled incorrectly.

Get someone to watch the test light as you turn the circuit breakers off one at a time, when you find the right circuit breaker the light will go out.

Old 05-18-08, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Double post, but still look at all advice given in both postings.

Old 05-18-08, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by MrFixit43 View Post
Dear SingleFixerMom
The circuit to your old dishwasher is still HOT, that's what the lit test light indicates. My first guess would be that the breakers in your circuit breaker panel are labeled incorrectly.

Get someone to watch the test light as you turn the circuit breakers off one at a time, when you find the right circuit breaker the light will go out.
MrFixit and Chandler,

Thank you both!! I was able to safely remove the old Dishwasher after shutting off the right circuit- finally....and yes the breakers were labeled incorrectly.

Thanks guys,
Lisa

Old 05-18-08, 09:47 PM
Just to say the obvious... make sure you relabel the panel with correct information. This would be a good time to flip each breaker in turn and find all the circuits each controls.