New Construction Wiring Questions

Old 05-18-08, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Construction Wiring Questions

To run the appliances what do i need? do i need 3 wire or can i use 2 wire for some?

What size and type of wire for Dryer, Stove, Microwave, and Air conditioner. I have heard sometimes you need a neutral and sometimes you dont. When and why is this the case? This is new residential construction

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-08, 03:56 PM
Every one of those things has a different answer, and each answer would be a long answer, and we'd have to ask you a hundred questions about the appliances before we knew what to say.

You need a book. In fact, you need several books. Visit your home center and browse their selection. If you are really going to do significant wiring in a new house, you probably need one of those books that cost about $75. It would not be practical for us to try to type out the contents of such a book in this forum.

If you see specific things in the book that you would like us to help clarify, please come back and ask.

Old 05-18-08, 04:01 PM
Appliance questions

it is really not that complicated if you are wiring for a house to be sold you do not know what type of applicances the owners will choose

Old 05-18-08, 04:15 PM
If you are doing this for a house to be occupied by somebody else, then almost all states would require you to be a licensed electrician.

In general, an electric clothes dryer would require 10/3, a gas clothes dryer would need 12/2, a stove 6/3, a microwave 12/2, and an whole-house air conditioner 6/3. Sometimes the stove and A/C would require less, but 6/3 would give more options.

You need a neutral for all 120-volt appliances, and for 240-volt appliances that have 120-volt accessories or components (such as all clothes dryers and many stoves).

Old 05-18-08, 04:46 PM
For the central A/C unit the outdoor unit useally use #10-2 most of the time [ the circuit breaker size will varies depending on the unit itself ] but the indoor unit sometime called air handling unit and if this air handling unit do NOT have electric heating elements in there then pretty much SOP is use 12-2 with 20 amp breaker unless you got electric heat that will pretty much determend on the size of the heater itself.

For the ranges most common used either 8-3 or 6-3 W/G but most of my time i useally use the latter one due some of the range have much as 12 KW rating so that make sense and make sure you use 4 wire receptale there as well if you run new wires in there. [ 8/3 is good with 40 amp breaker while 6/3 is good with 50 amp breaker { copper wires}]

For the dryers it pretty common to use 10-3W/G romex cable with 30 amp breaker. then again if this is a new wire you have to run 4 wire receptale also.

For the SABC [ small appalince branch circuit ] per NEC code it will reqired min of 2 circuits but however it pretty common to run more than 2 anyway.

Check with your codes it may change a little realted to the circuit layout.

If you are going to sell the house pretty quick i will really advise ya get ahold of electrician to do this.

Merci,Marc