wiring in a kitchen island

Old 05-18-08, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring in a kitchen island

I am trying to figure out the best way to run wire to a couple of outlets on the sides of a kitchen island. They are 20 amp outlets and the wiring will be coming up through the floor from a crawl space below. I've done a little searching on the web and have found conflicting information about some basic questions:

- Can I run romex wiring on the inside of the cabinets? If not, what is the best option?

- Can I run romex wiring in the gap between cabinets? OK, I know I CAN do this, as there is plenty of room for the wire, so my real question is SHOULD I do this? It appears to be a good option, since it would be better protected than if it were sitting on the inside of the cabinet, but I might be missing something here.

- Are there any restrictions on the kinds of boxes that can be used (given that the box will be located on the inside of the cabinet)? Currently, I have simply been looking for boxes that will physically fit between the side or back of a draw and the wall of the cabinet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-08, 08:36 AM
If the cable will be run in a space used for storage, then you'll need to protect it from physical damage. One way to do this is to sleeve it in some flexible conduit.

Yes, the cable can run in the gap between the cabinets if it will be in an area not likely to get hit by a nail.

I think you can use any box. Many people would go for a metal box if the area is going to be used for storage.

Old 05-19-08, 10:50 AM
When you cut your boxes in, check twice to make sure that they will not interfere with drawer or sliding shelf operation.
This is a lesson that you only want to learn once.

Old 05-19-08, 12:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by dezwit View Post
When you cut your boxes in, check twice to make sure that they will not interfere with drawer or sliding shelf operation.
This is a lesson that you only want to learn once.
Take note of this very important advice! Maybe even check three times.

Old 05-19-08, 02:37 PM
I can only imagine the pain of taking all that time to cleanly cut into the side of an island only to find that you have to keep the drawer open all the time or leave a gaping hole behind. what a headache. that's some good measure twice cut once advise if I ever heard it.

Old 05-19-08, 03:45 PM
As I said, you will only make this mistake once in your lifetime.

Old 05-19-08, 06:41 PM
I just did one; the original installation (14 yrs ago) by the builder used 12/2 NM with a spiral metal shield over it into a metal box cut into the side of the island.
I used 1/2 PVC conduit (grey stuff) which just cleared the drawer system side rails. It looks better than the metal stuff and serves to protect the same.
Bob

Old 05-19-08, 10:40 PM
I started putting the cabinets together and so far have the wire run in between the cabinets with no problems. Next step - boxes. Given all of the advice and my luck, I think this is going to be a "measure a dozen times, have my wife measure, grab a buddy to measure and measure again myself, then cut once" project.

Old 05-20-08, 05:07 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Boxes

Keep in mind the box fill requirements when choosing your boxes. One 12/2 romex with ground and a receptacle require a minimum of 11.25 cubic inches. Add another 2.25 for an internal clamp in the box. Good luck with your project.