wiggly outlets

Old 05-19-08, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiggly outlets

the problem: my outlets are loose. they wiggle and are lose in the faceplate. plus I want to make them match the color of the faceplate. this problem rates a very low,low number with my self employed/always busy with the customer husband. I need to fix this problem myself without serious damage to self or house. how do I replace the round (they look like surprised faces) part of the plug outlet? thanks...mrsmendlebright

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-08, 07:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
The first thing you need to do is determine which fuse or breaker controls the receptacles that you want to work on. Once you have turned the power off and verified this you can remove the cover plate.

There will be 2 screws that hold the receptacle to the box, back these out and gently pull the receptacle away from the box. Make note of all the connections. If you have any receptacles that are switched look at the tabs between the screws on the brass colored side to see if it is broken away. If the wires are inserted into the back of the device you should see a release tab that needs to be pushed in to remove the wires.

Make a clockwise loop in the wires and attach using the side screws. Reinstall in the box by folding the wires neatly and tightening the srews that hold it to the box. Install the cover plate, restore power and test.

Old 05-19-08, 07:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Pcboss, I may have read the OP differently, but I think she has a problem with them being loose in the box. If that is the case, look for a strip of plastic spacers made for this purpose. You tear off two, fold them over like Lego's and insert it over the screw that holds it to the box. Once tightened, it is firmly in the box, and won't wiggle.

Old 05-19-08, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsmendlebright View Post
the problem: my outlets are loose. they wiggle and are lose in the faceplate. plus I want to make them match the color of the faceplate.
She wants to change the color too.