Wiring a closet into a bathroom; few questions

Old 05-20-08, 03:47 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring a closet into a bathroom; few questions

hey guys. Not to be corny but long time reader first time poster.

My situation:
5'x6' closet. 5' back wall, 6' side walls, 5' front wall with 30" door on center.
Current electrical config:
One ceiling light with pull switch bulb.

Desired config:
one gfci/switch combo recepticle on back wall by future sink/vanity with switch controlling light above mirror over sink.
Also adding fart fan/ceiling light which I would like to put on a two switch recepticle, one switch for fan and one for light.

What is the best setup to go from the pull switch bulb to my desired configuration?

Old 05-20-08, 06:54 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
While you wait for one of the pros to chime in...

Where is this closet located? Since you're turning it into a BATHROOM specifically, it's highly unlikely that you can just reuse the feed to that one light. This is a major enough renovation, it sounds like, that you'll almost certainly be required to update to current code. You may want to contact your local building department's electrical inspector and see what he wants to have done.

Unfortunately, that basically means you need a new feed from the box for this room. Bathroom stuff can only be on bathroom circuits in new installs/renos, essentially. This would need to be a 20-amp circuit. I think you can run the receptacle, light, and fart-fan on the same circuit as long as NOTHING outside that room uses that circuit.

Also, you want THREE switches? One for fart fan, one for light over sink, I get - but why the one on the ceiling? This room is small enough that I would think the over-sink light would be sufficient. I'm guessing you're thinking of keeping the existing pull-chain-light there, or replacing it with another fixture, since the box has to remain accessible?

Is it possible the fart-fan could go in that location (with a new box, probably)? I don't know if you'd be allowed to cap off the old wires and leave them in (a larger than usual box) for the fan. Unless you can disconnect them from the source, that box does have to stay accessible, and putting a fart-fan over it sounds like a good solution IF the pros say that's okay - this may be one of those things that sounds good in theory but has implications I'm not thinking of... I'm pretty sure you can't run the fart-fan off the existing circuit, and you'll be adding a switch loop from that location to where you want the switch in any event.

Hope this helps at least slightly! And don't be afraid to ask more questions - the folks here are really helpful!

Old 05-20-08, 07:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
New installs would require a 20 amp circuit to serve either the GFI receptacle only OR as long as this circuit serves ONLY this bathroom it could share the lights and fan.

I douubt that your pullchain bulb is the only thing on that circuit. Most likely the circuit is only 15 amps that serves other lights and receptacles.

To try and add a receptacle where high draw appliances like hair dryers and curling irons are used does not make sense as well as the Code violation it creates. You will regret it everytime the breaker trips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: