How to Ground Loop for 2 Recessed Lights In Series?

Old 05-24-08, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Ground Loop for 2 Recessed Lights In Series?

I'm mid remodel on an old bathroom of ours and plan to install a triple (not three way) switch into a single gang box. The switch will control vanity light/shower light/exhaust fan.

I learned a handy trick here on my last bath renovation to wire crowded boxes like this via a ground loop, and pulled wires do do the same with this switch.

Problem: I have 2 recessed wet rated lights in the shower, and can't figure out exactly how to wire these up through a ground loop. I drew it out and it definitely wasn't right when I did the work. Is there a diagram anyone has to help me out/or can anyone spoon feed me a bit on this one since I've got myself a bit confused. Can this even be done?

I have no issue with normal ground loops, it's the series of two can lights that is getting me into trouble.

Thanks!

Last edited by BQuicksilver; 05-24-08 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-08, 11:49 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
ya got me lost on this one and I do electrical work for a living. Bottom line, all devices need to be grounded and all grounds need to be connected in any junction box.

I see you have had many posts and I do not wish to wade through them to find youre previous situation. If you could toss a link here, I would take a look and try to figure out what you were doing there and try to apply it to this situation for you.

Old 05-24-08, 12:27 PM
My old posts have nothing to do with this particular situation, so that may be adding confusion.

The issue here is that I'm trying to do a ground loop to a light (which I've done before correctly), but in this case it's confusing for me b/c I'm wiring up TWO lights (two wet shower recessed lights) that go to the same switch. I've always done ground loops to a single fixture.

Basicly I did ground loops on the vanity light, the fan, and the shower lights in question, so I have 3 wires coming down to the area the switch will go. Problem is, the wire coming down for the shower is hot.

Old 05-24-08, 12:28 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
The term "ground loop" usually refers to an unwanted condition in data cabling. Please explain what you mean when you use the term.

Old 05-24-08, 01:26 PM
nap
=BQuicksilver;1369952]My old posts have nothing to do with this particular situation, so that may be adding confusion.
Ok, your mistake then.

Basicly I did ground loops on the vanity light, the fan, and the shower lights in question, so I have 3 wires coming down to the area the switch will go. Problem is, the wire coming down for the shower is hot.
Do you mean the ground wire is hot, as in energized? If so, you either simply have a connection wrong or you have pinched the wire, possibly when closing up the j box.

as I said before, each device needs to be grounded and all ground connect together. Since it appears your question appears to be about box fill, I do not see what you are talking about to alleviate this. If you run your circuit from switch to fixture to fixture, you would remove 3 wires from the j box.

try explaining the ground loop thing, or if you can upload a drawing of what you are trying to explain, it may help. You will have to use a image hosting site as you cannot upload images directly to this site.

maybe explaaning this might help:

pulled wires do do the same with this switch.You either run individual cables to each device or you "daisy chain" them if they are controlled by a common circuit and switch.

Old 05-24-08, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
I think the OP means a switch loop.

Even with that said it still sounds like the 1 gang switch box will be overfilled and need to be changed.

Old 05-24-08, 01:36 PM
nap
Maybe so. Glad you can read minds because it would have taken me a long time to get there the way things are going.

If so, then I suspect what you intended on doing is running the hots, neuts, and ground to one light or common j box and then simply running 1 hot and just the switch leg to the box (along with a ground of course).

If this is the case and there is only 1 circuit involved, then the switch box would only have 5 wires in it. that (presuming #14 wire), along with one device would be 14 cubic inches (not including any cable clamps). So, now we need the cu in size of the box.

Old 05-24-08, 01:56 PM
I was told it was a "ground loop", but I seem to have been incorrectly advised. PCboss is absolutely right. I'm talking about a "switch loop".

Nap, if you are digging though old posts and making assumptions, that's on you...

The box fill is fine, I calculated it. The question has nothing to do with box fill.

hope this clarifies things somewhat.

Old 05-24-08, 02:24 PM
nap
Originally Posted by BQuicksilver View Post
I was told it was a "ground loop", but I seem to have been incorrectly advised. PCboss is absolutely right. I'm talking about a "switch loop".

Nap, if you are digging though old posts and making assumptions, that's on you...

The box fill is fine, I calculated it. The question has nothing to do with box fill.

hope this clarifies things somewhat.
ok fine. Time for somebody else to help.

I learned a handy trick here on my last bath renovation to wire crowded boxes like this via a ground loop, and pulled wires do do the same with this switch.
It may not have been your thread or even that you posted to it but you stated the info came from here and all I was doing was trying to figure out what you wre talking about. Since you are so far off the mark and believe I have the problem, I'll be more than glad to allow another take over.

as to box fill, if you are smart enough to understand and calculate this, then you should have no problem figuring out how simple it is to wire up a few lights.

have a good day.

I'm outta here on this one.

Old 05-24-08, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Wire just like the picture and then off the switch loop, (we call it a switch leg =P) daisy chain the two cans together.

Old 05-24-08, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by BQuicksilver View Post
I'm mid remodel on an old bathroom of ours and plan to install a triple (not three way) switch into a single gang box. The switch will control vanity light/shower light/exhaust fan.
Oh Man.,, hope you have this juction box is deepwell type due the amout of wires in this single gang box.

{ I genrally try to stay away from triplex switch set up like you have due the box fill issue and i use two gang box or more to deal with this.}

It will be much eaiser to get two gang box installed then you have one reguar switch and one with duplex switch it will work better this way.

{ This is the best time before you lay the tile on or near final products on the wall }

Merci,Marc

Old 05-24-08, 11:47 PM
I figured it out tonight. Thanks to those who helped.

Definitely a deep box here. I'm surprised nap didn't notice, but I actually learned a lot about deep mud boxes and box fill calculation here at DIY on an older thread.