Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Adding a new hot water dispenser to the garbage disposal circuit

Old 05-24-08, 04:44 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I currently have a garbage disposal with a switch on the wall. It is connected to a 20amp circuit and it is dedicated to the garbage disposal.

I want to add a new hot water dispenser to the sink, I would like to use the garbage disposal circuit. My plan is to install a 2 receptacle outlet under the sink and connect it to the 20amp wire that goes from the wall to the garbage disposal. The connect an air-activated garbage disposal switch the hot water dispenser to the outlet under the sink . My garbage disposal is 8.1amp and hot water dispenser is 6 amp. is that OK? Do I meet all the codes?

Thanks,
David

Old 05-24-08, 06:20 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You want to shoot for 80% max load on the breaker, so you are OK at <15A.

However local codes vary widely on this question. Here I can put a range hood on the same circuit with the food grinder, but nothing else.

Somebody else can say what the NEC requires, but only a local electrician or inspector, or your reading of the code, can tell you what goes locally.

Old 05-24-08, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 366 Votes on 316 Posts
I would not think any of those loads are continuous loads. (on for more than 3 hrs at a time) but as Matey pointed out your still under the 16 amps that you can load continuously on a 20 amp breaker so as far and the NEC your fine.

Old 05-27-08, 08:12 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
You are okay to proceed with your plan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: