Mysterious loss of power to detached garage

Old 05-25-08, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mysterious loss of power to detached garage

Everything worked fine in my detached garage yesterday, and then today nothing did. No lights, no garage door opener, no power outlet. There was no digging or anything that might have cut any wires.

I took out the 15 amp fuse and tried it in another 15 amp socket and it worked fine, so it's not the fuse itself. I also tried cleaning out the fuse socket for the garage with a rag, but that didn't work either. I tried replacing the fuse just in case, but no luck.

Is there anything else I can do myself to try to restore power to the garage short of calling an electrician to come try to figure it out?

Thanks,

-Korey

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-08, 05:16 PM
Did you follow the wire or conduit from the fuse panel to the affected items? Look for a GFCI receptacle with test and reset buttons.

Beyond that troubleshooting will require a meter or at least a neon tester, neither of which are expensive, but you would want to figure out if your hot or neutral are open at various points.

Old 05-25-08, 05:34 PM
There is definitely not a GFCI outlet in the garage or anywhere between the fuse box and the garage. But the wires all run underground between the house and the garage, so I am hoping there might be something else I can try short of digging everything up...

Old 05-25-08, 05:56 PM
kingsmurf

Korey...yes theres methods to determine where the open lies
. .but since I do NOT know your equipment or experience level. . . .I would suggest that this is NOT DIY level work

but do check the following:

* the garage is also controlled by an fuse or breaker in
the house ?

* tell us what your experience /equipment level is? . .
I would not want to detail ep by step checks you
are completly unfamiliar with

* do you have Wiggie? digi-meter? . .battery powered
voltage sensor?

could be something quite simple . .but I personally would need to know more detail . .to advise you

Old 05-25-08, 06:53 PM
Received 113 Votes on 103 Posts
Do you have any test equipment?. If you do then open the first box where the wire comes into the garage and measure the voltage between hot-neutral and hot-groundk, preferably not with a digital meter. It could give false readings.