Dumb question: receptacle screw interference

Old 05-25-08, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dumb question: receptacle screw interference

In a flush-mount metal receptacle box, why does the romex clamp connector interfere with the mounting screws? I'm just an occasional weekend wirer, not a pro but I've always wondered about this. I never think to buy a few short screws when I'm at the hardware store but can usually find one in my parts drawer.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-08, 07:05 AM
If you're using stripper/crimpers you can use the little holes in the head to cut the screws to length.

Image courtesy tools-plus.com

Old 05-26-08, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by kenearl View Post
In a flush-mount metal receptacle box, why does the romex clamp connector interfere with the mounting screws? I'm just an occasional weekend wirer, not a pro but I've always wondered about this. I never think to buy a few short screws when I'm at the hardware store but can usually find one in my parts drawer.
Short answer: Combinations of all things will not work in all situations. You also cannot get a GFCI or dimmer into a shallow wiremold box, for example.

1. Is the romex coming into the box through a 1/2" hole in the top or bottom of the box, or is this a shallow box and you are using the rear integral clamps?

2. Are you talking about the device mounting screws or the screws used to mount the box to the wall?

3. Get a wire stripper with a screw cutter built in. Then if you don't have the short screws you can make your own. Just be care not to cross-thread the box.

Old 05-26-08, 08:47 AM
I'm referring to a standard Handy Box, 4" x 2 1/8" x 1 7/8", with a grounded receptacle as a flush-mount outlet on a concrete wall, for example, or as replacement end on a shop extension cord.

Rick, you answered my question, I was just wondering how a pro electrician deals with the too-long screw for mounting the receptacle in the box. I suppose regular end nippers will booger up the screw's end so I'll have to get one of those with holes as mine don't have them. Thanks.

Old 05-26-08, 06:45 PM
are you refering to this one ??

If so there is a trick for me it work all the time i keep few short 6-32 screw on hand [ typically either ot 1 inch long ]

Merci,Marc

Old 05-26-08, 09:12 PM
Handy boxes are far from handy. If at all possible, avoid using them.

Old 05-27-08, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by kenearl View Post
I suppose regular end nippers will booger up the screw's end so I'll have to get one of those with holes as mine don't have them. Thanks.
Tip: Put a nut all the way onto the screw before you cut the screw. Taking the nut off will smooth out any burrs in the threads.