How to mount under eave spotlight?

Old 05-25-08, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to mount under eave spotlight?

The guy putting siding on my new addition told me that the general contractor was supposed to get him electrical boxes for this but did not. so he had to put on the soffit without putting in the box. He said it will be very difficult to do now unless you remove the soffit. I am p*ssed at my general contractor as he could care less about things. SO is it going to be very difficult to put undereave lighting now? Could you just do it like a ceiling light that you add later and use a box that has a rod that screws and expands up against the trusses?

thanks bill

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-08, 12:14 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, or even an old-work box with ears if it isn't too heavy. The devil is in running the wires. Depending on the pitch of the roof and construction of the overhang you may have trouble getting to the overhang with the wire. You may have to run a fish tape from the box hole up into the attic but there may be obstructions at the wall.

I have in extreme cases cut a hole to fit a soffit vent near where I was wiring to get room to fish the wire. The soffit vent hole of course just was to give me working room and by using a soffit vent rather then a patch to cover the hole it looked better.

Old 05-26-08, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks. Just checked and running wire should not be hard. It is 4/12 rafter roof with vaulted ceiling inside and I can easily see down the eave from inside. Since it is not finished, I shouldn't have any problems.

Old 05-26-08, 10:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
You may be able to unzip the soffit to mount your boxes.

Make sure that they are flush with the finished soffit.

I would not use a old work box to hang a fixture from the soffit material alone. It may hold for awhile but will sag later. I would try to cut the soffit near a truss and use one of these.

Old 05-26-08, 10:54 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I would not use a old work box to hang a fixture from the soffit material alone. It may hold for awhile but will sag later. I
Good point. I keep forgetting how crappy most new construction is.