Damaged wire?

Old 05-26-08, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Damaged wire?

I was drilling a hole to hang a towel rank when I hit something. I heard a little pop and saw a little smoke, followed by a burnt rubber smell. My wife was using the microwave which stopped working. I had tripped the breaker. Once reset, everything works fine. Did I damage an electrical wire behind the dry wall? Since after resetting the breaker, everything seems to work so how do I know how much damage there was without ripping out the dry wall? Will a meter tell me the extend of the damage wire?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-08, 09:05 PM
Received 110 Votes on 100 Posts
Wire is damaged. You need to repair the damage. Most likely the easiest way is to replace the cable. You can't just open the wall and splice the wire. All joints need to be in junction boxes that are accessible.

Old 05-26-08, 09:07 PM
The only surefire safe way to check the damged wire is open the drywall and see the damge to the wires if you manged to nicked the wires you actally weaken them down a bit.

With nicked wire it is not safe anymore it have to be repaired before it can catch on fire or shorted out more.

If the wall that affect and is attic is above and the wires are above then you are pretty good chance you can able put in a junction box and splice it and run new wires to the receptale box.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-26-08, 09:15 PM
In general, do not drill, nail or screw farther than an inch into the stud. Going any farther risks the kind of damage you encountered. Unfortunately, at this point, the repair is going to be rather elaborate. Don't try for a quick, easy solution. You made a major mistake, and major mistakes require significant solutions. Do the job right.