Gangable old work boxes

Old 05-26-08, 09:46 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gangable old work boxes

I want to run two sticks of 3/4" ENT (smurf tube) into a metal old work box. One tube will be for the wiring of a 15 amp receptacle and the other for low-voltage (CAT5E, coax, etc). If I gang two boxes together, can I leave all of the sides on one of the boxes so I have a divider? Or do I need to use a separate divider?

This is the box I think I can use but I want to make sure: http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/R...eet.asp?PN=565

Or could I use a double gang old work box and put a divider in it?

Old 05-27-08, 04:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Try this: http://www.hometech.com/techwire/wal...CN-B225RUPCand scroll down to the divided box.

Old 05-27-08, 09:04 AM
K
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Try this: http://www.hometech.com/techwire/wal...CN-B225RUPCand scroll down to the divided box.
Not sure which one you are referring to but none of those will do what I want. As far as I know Carlon doesn't make a plastic old work box with conduit knockouts, which is why I'm going with metal.

Old 05-27-08, 09:27 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just use a hole saw. If you first clamp a block of wood to the inside even a sharp spade bit should work.

Old 05-27-08, 10:47 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 160 Votes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by kornbln View Post
If I gang two boxes together, can I leave all of the sides on one of the boxes so I have a divider? Or do I need to use a separate divider?
To answer your question, the way those boxes gang together is by removing the sides and then attach the two boxes using the same screws/mounting. There's no real way to gang them together while leaving the sides (divider) in place. The closest you could get would be to mount them side by side, but the extra 1/4" or so may prevent the cover plate from fitting correctly.

Old 05-27-08, 05:18 PM
Look more closely at the site. The top old work box can be used with the 65 cent divider. See the groove in the bottom of the box? And, as the others say, you can drill holes for the conduit fitting.

Old 05-27-08, 06:26 PM
K
Look more closely at the site. The top old work box can be used with the 65 cent divider. See the groove in the bottom of the box? And, as the others say, you can drill holes for the conduit fitting.
Wouldn't I be violating the intended use of the box and the UL Listing?

Old 05-27-08, 07:04 PM
Why would they design, manufacture and sell a product that voilated code? The divider is fiber and actually divides the box into two compartments.

Old 05-27-08, 09:39 PM
K
Why would they design, manufacture and sell a product that voilated code? The divider is fiber and actually divides the box into two compartments.
I'm refering to the suggestion of drilling the box

Old 05-27-08, 10:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Boxes are drilled all the time, even main panels though the pros usually use a device that works like a punch.

Old 05-28-08, 02:39 AM
K
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Boxes are drilled all the time, even main panels though the pros usually use a device that works like a punch.
Right... but I'm sure those panels are designed with the intention of being punched. A plastic box designed for a specific application is a little different.

Anyways, the idea of drilling my own holes doesn't really appeal to me and I think I've found the solution. I've been looking at the Raco "Retro-Ring" that allows you to use a standard 4" square box in an "old work" application.

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/R...&FAM=RacoBoxes

Says it's compatible with their low-voltage partitions.

Old 06-06-08, 11:50 PM
R
Here is a type that would work also

http://www.aifittings.com/whnew76.htm

Old 06-07-08, 08:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by kornbln View Post
Right... but I'm sure those panels are designed with the intention of being punched. A plastic box designed for a specific application is a little different.

Anyways, the idea of drilling my own holes doesn't really appeal to me and I think I've found the solution. I've been looking at the Raco "Retro-Ring" that allows you to use a standard 4" square box in an "old work" application.

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/R...&FAM=RacoBoxes

Says it's compatible with their low-voltage partitions.
That is for low voltage only. You would still need a box for the regular voltage stuff. The one that rich3236 posted is a winner. Otherwise drilling the other box chandler posted is your best option. Making your own KO's is done all the time in the trade and does not violate code. Look and the pict and you can see there is a 1/2" KO on the back.

Old 06-07-08, 07:57 PM
K
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
That is for low voltage only. You would still need a box for the regular voltage stuff. The one that rich3236 posted is a winner. Otherwise drilling the other box chandler posted is your best option. Making your own KO's is done all the time in the trade and does not violate code. Look and the pict and you can see there is a 1/2" KO on the back.
Yes, that bracket is for low voltage only -- when used just by itself. It's designed to mount a 4" square box, then you can use it for power. I already went with the Raco Retro-Ring with a 4" square box and a metal divider plate. Worked out the best I think since you can use a 4" box with any size knockouts you need. I used 1/2" ENT with stranded THHN for power and 3/4" ENT for low voltage wiring. I didn't know Arlington made a non-metallic box with conduit knockouts -- that looks like another good option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: