Code Citings for SER Aluminum as Feeder

Old 05-27-08, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Code Citings for SER Aluminum as Feeder

Gents,

Got back from city hall to pull electrical permit, my inspector/plans reviewer is not familiar with SE type SER aluminum cable that I'm using from main panel to subpanel (run is five feet, 2/2/2/4 SER). The 2007 California code of regulations (title 24, part 3) that he references only refers to SE cable as service entry cable by definition in part 100. We are based on 2005 NEC.

I know this is permitted in California for a subpanel. (Inspector isn't telling me it's flat out wrong but seems to be asking for more information). I've done some research but don't have the 2005 code book on hand.

I think Article 338 specifically permits SE type SER (XHHW-2 conductors with PVC sheath) as a feeder.

Do any of the code guys out there have the specific references that I can put on my plan so there is no question. Thanks again in advance (my only day off work to get this permit!)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-08, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by BadgerFan View Post
my inspector/plans reviewer is not familiar with SE type SER aluminum cable
Really? Aluminum SER is a very common cable used in service entrances and subpanels. The technical designation is Type SE, Style SER (or Style R) so anywhere the code references SE applies to SER.

I think Article 338 specifically permits SE type SER (XHHW-2 conductors with PVC sheath) as a feeder.
Yes it does, so does table 310.15(b)(6) which lists the ampacity for service entrance cables. Among others, it specifies type SE.

Do any of the code guys out there have the specific references that I can put on my plan so there is no question.
Perhaps a request form for an inspector who is familiar with common materials. :-)

Old 05-27-08, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, got the permit. Now I have some references in case the inspector gets excited. I had it on my plan as SER instead of SE type SER and then he didn't think you could use it for a feeder. Now's he's cool, so I'm cool. Thanks for the quick response.