Outdoor outlet to Junction box?

Old 05-28-08, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor outlet to Junction box?

Hello all! I have purchased a house with a few questionable electrical practices on the outside. I would like to get it to close to "code" or safer.

I have an external wall outlet on the side of my house. Someone before me, ran an extension cord through a hole to the closet next to it. Inside the closet (water heater in the closet) they plugged they wired for an on/off rocker switch that is mounted outside the closet for turning on the ceiling fan/light that is mounted under the pergalo.

From the switch they ran some bad pvc pipe with I'm assuming the electrical connections for the ceiling fan.

What I want to do is the following:

From the existing outlet, take it out and put in a junction type box to extend this location into the closet where I can put in a junction box (weather proof / code, etc)

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-08, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, it is "questionable" no longer. It's just plain "bad". In fact, "very bad".

First, determine everything that is currently on this same circuit. This may determine whether it is legal and/or advisable to do this.

Then, if you do not already own some, acquire and read a few books on home wiring. This will tell you the proper way to install boxes, run cable so that it is protected and secured, and make connections.

Make sure that all cable is protected (in any of a variety of ways) and secured, and suitable for outdoor use where used outdoors. It must be buried to proper depth (depending on a number of factors) where buried.

There are too many details to cover here, and we cannot see the situation so that we know the "best way". The books should help you understand your options, and we're here to answer your specific questions.