What is acceptable for a "Pull Box"?

Old 06-08-08, 02:41 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is acceptable for a "Pull Box"?

I am planning to install 3/4" PVC conduit from inside the house, to the outside. The conduit will come out of the soffit (2 foot overhang on the house) and run vertically along the block foundation. I would like access to the inside of conduit immediately after leaving the soffit so that I can install Duct seal.

I haven't been able to find anything that looks like an "inline" LB. Someone told me I should use a single gang outlet box with a full face cover as a pull box. Is this OK?

Old 06-08-08, 08:49 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
do you mean like this?

that would be a "C" condulet. (as opposed to an LB, LL, LR, N, T, or X)

just to explain some of the others:

these would be an "N", a "C", and a "T" (left to right). An X would be a 4 way and the LL and LR are variations of the LB.

Old 06-08-08, 09:30 AM
A
Even if you can use a C conduit body as mentioned above, you may still want to consider a weatherproof device box, just in case at some time you want to add a receptacle at that point or splice to a branch conduit. I would use a 2-gang weatherproof box so you have some extra ports available at that point. If you used a one-gang box, it would just have an IN and OUT port and you'd have to add an extension ring to take off a conduit at that point.

CBs have their place, but in 3/4" they can't be used for anything except a pull box.

Old 06-08-08, 10:20 AM
nap
au contraire` AGM. Notice the 2 holes on the top of the box.

weatherproof box

and a condulet may be used for splices IF the fill calcs allow it AND the conduit body volume is durable and legibly maeked on the body by the manufacturer.

Old 06-08-08, 10:29 AM
A
You are right, I am wrong, in principle.

But since the OP said he was using 3/4", I assumed he would want to maintain that diameter. Maybe there is a 1-gang box with more than two 3/4" ports. I don't know.

But you don't want to restrict your "through" capacity if you do decide to add a device, do you?

Old 06-08-08, 11:36 AM
nap
I actually was going to post a bit more but for some reason did not do so.

Yes, if I would ever connsider a recep at this location, I would use a 2 gang box. I get real tired of cramped j-boxes and tossing in a recep in a single gang weather proof box starts getting too tight for my likes.

but just to prove I'm right (my wife hates it when I do this but you can't slap me over the internet):

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/R...of&P=5589,7648

actually, I wasn't sure they did make a box with 2- 3/4" bosses on an end. I had to go and look them up.

Old 06-08-08, 04:09 PM
A
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I actually was going to post a bit more but for some reason did not do so.

Yes, if I would ever connsider a recep at this location, I would use a 2 gang box. I get real tired of cramped j-boxes and tossing in a recep in a single gang weather proof box starts getting too tight for my likes.

but just to prove I'm right (my wife hates it when I do this but you can't slap me over the internet):

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/R...of&P=5589,7648

actually, I wasn't sure they did make a box with 2- 3/4" bosses on an end. I had to go and look them up.
Touche! Although I have figured out that I should just keep my mouth shut at home when I am right, it's always good to learn about something I didn't know existed. So, thanks. I wonder if they sell a lot of those.

Old 06-09-08, 01:14 PM
M
Wow - that is exactly what I was looking for. It must be more of a specialty item - the big-box stores in my area don't seem to carry them.

I did end up using a single-gang weather proof device box. This is being used near an above-ground pool to run the wiring to the pool-pump motor. A receptacle at this time would likely not be allowed, but I guess if the pool is ever taken away it might be nice to put a receptacle there.

I mainly wanted to be sure that a device box would be technically acceptable as a pull-box. Sounds to me like you are saying it is!

Thanks for your replies!

Bob

Old 06-09-08, 03:23 PM
nap
you are correct. A single gang weatherproof box is quite acceptable for a pull point, or even to make junctions (joints) in if needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: