Need Help Badly

Old 06-08-08, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Help Badly

Hi my name is Sandy Thank you in advance for all the help and suggestions. I have an electrical problem. In my living room everything keep turning off and on on evening. At first the electric was off and on only a couple of seconds then a couple of minutes and now either everything is on or everything is off. The electric has been like this for almost 7 days now. I also noticed that my front porch light comes on only for a second this goes very dim the same for my entry way ceiling light. The porch light and entry way lights are powered by a wall switch in the living room. A couple of days after my first problem, I noticed that the none of the wall plug-ins in the kitchen worked and that the stove which is 220 will not work or if the stove does the stove takes for ever to get hot. Not once has a breaker flipped duriing all of this. My bathroom and bedroom seem to be fine. I have ran an extention cord from the bathroom to power the liviing room and another one from the bathroom to power the kitchen I just have not used the stove at all. Any clue as to what could be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-08, 07:24 PM
sounds to me like you might be losing a phase coming into your panel. Either at your main breaker or your meter. My best suggestion is to call a licensed electrican asap. Im not sure how it is where you live but here in florida you can call the power company and they will check everthing on there end for free,That way they can let you know if its at your meter or not but you really need to get it check asap because if its a breaker thats burning up then the longer you wait the more damage it will cause to other breakers in your panel and the buss that the breakers connect to.

Old 06-08-08, 07:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Call your power company, now, not in the morning. It is possible you have a floating neutral or their equipment may be faulty. Do you know of neighbors that have a similar problem? Don't waste any time, call them, now.

Old 06-08-08, 07:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unplug all appliances and stereos/tv's as well....these could get ruined quickly.

Old 06-08-08, 08:43 PM
I live in a mother-in-law house, one of my walls is shared with their garage. I can see an extention cord coming from tbe garage in to their house. On one is home to ask any questions.

Old 06-08-08, 08:46 PM
What do I tell the power company by the way I live in Hanford california and my electric is with southern california edison

Old 06-08-08, 09:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Describe your problem as you have here. Ask them to send out a trouble truck.

Old 06-08-08, 09:03 PM
Just tell the POCO that you have partal power outage and they will come out and check with thier side first to determed if their connecton is bad or not.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-08-08, 09:23 PM
If no one answers the regular number at your power company, please do call the emergency number. Tell them exactly what you told us in your first post. Trust me, they won't mind that you called them. That's what they're there for.

Don't post here any more until after the power company comes. Use the time you would have spent posting to make that phone call.

Old 06-08-08, 10:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
One off topic suggestion. Don't get fancy with the fonts. Gave up half way through trying to read your post. The font was too small.

Old 06-09-08, 09:51 AM
Be interesting to hear what the OP's problem is. My in-laws had a similar problem. Turned out it was a pine tree rubbing against the POCO wires into the house and it had rubbed off some of the insulation. Everytime the tree moved, the lights dimmed.

Old 06-09-08, 10:21 AM
Yes, this will be very interesting to see. My former home was plagued with stray current because the neighbor's hot water tank was shorting out. I knew there was an issue because I could feel current in the water (light, prickly shocks in the shower and a light bulb in my garage was very slightly lighting up. The POCO was phoned and they helped to isolate the neighbor's house and then to the water tank.

Old 06-09-08, 01:40 PM
I knew there was an issue because I could feel current in the water (light, prickly shocks in the shower and a light bulb in my garage was very slightly lighting up.
If the light bulb had water in it and the electric was comming out of the water pipes, I think I saw that in old Three Stooges short.....