Attic fan not working

Old 06-10-08, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic fan not working

I have an attic fan but it does not work, It is made by leslie locke, it has a thermostat on it.
it never comes on, no humming or anything, I try to turn the blade by hand and it does turn, but not loosely, any suggestions would help, thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-08, 03:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is this a roof mounted air evacuation fan, or a whole house fan? It could be a bad thermostat, but you need to check to see if it is getting power before you go changing components. Do you have diagnostic tools?

Old 06-10-08, 03:58 AM
attic fan

If this fan has a thermostat then perhaps it isn't set at the right setting, it should be set at the 95 degree mark so it turns on when that temp is met, otherwise do some basic electrical work and bypass the thermostat and see if it works.

Old 06-10-08, 09:56 AM
I agree with jasjms. The simplest test is to bypass the thermostat to see if the fan then comes on.

Old 06-17-08, 08:20 AM
Ok I bypassed the thermostat and the motor was bad, I replaced it but i wired it up directly to power, it is suppose to stay on, but it comes on in interventions, is it suppose to do that with no thermostat? I checked all the wiring and it is good, but sometimes the fan is not on then at times it is on. does the fan motor have it's own built in thermostat?

I intent on putting the thermostat back on it but i thought it was suspicious that it kicks on and off without a thermostat?

Also how do i care for the fan, i was told to oil it,

what kind of oil and where does it go?

thanks

Old 06-17-08, 09:47 AM
your attic fan

Hi: OK so you bypassed the thermostat and the fan is going off and on. Are you SURE you got the right motor for the fan and that it is running the proper ROTATION, if it isn't then the motor is overheating and you need to get either the proper motor or the proper prop designed for the rotation of the motor, this is important, otherwise the motor will keep going off and on. As far as oil, there should be small weep holes at the end's of the motor that you can put 1 or 2 drops in it perhaps once a year. Like i said check the rotation of the motor. Jim

Old 06-17-08, 12:29 PM
check your power

One other thing to check and that is the obvious, 115volts coming in to the motor, check with a voltage meter and make sure it is a good 115 volts. Jim