4-way switch question

Old 06-10-08, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
4-way switch question

My question is should all 3 switches control the light regardless of the position (on/off) of the other switches?

I am changing the switches in a section of my house. The stairway light is controlled by 3 switches. Two are 3 way and one is a 4 way. We just recently moved into the house and hardly ever used one of the switches as it is in a back hallway. Since I've changed the switches I have to make sure the switch in the back hallway is in the off position for the other two to work. I can't remember if we had to do this before I switched them or not.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-08, 02:55 PM
Properly wired, yes.

Since yours no longer works this way, it's clear that you did not properly wire them.

The most common mistake when replacing switches is to move the wires from the old switch to the new switch by position on the switch. Unfortunately, the "upper left" connection on one switch is not always the same function as the "upper left" connection on another switch.

Rather than move wires by position, it is essential to move them by function. The function of a connection is indicated by markings on the switch body, by screw color, or both.

Three-way switches have one "common" (almost always the black-colored screw) and two travelers. Four-way switches have two "input" connections and two "output" connections, usually indicated by two screws of one color and two screws of some other color.

If you still have the old switches (i.e., you didn't throw them away yet), it will help to sort this out.

Old 06-10-08, 07:07 PM
Thanks John,

The two 3 ways did have Common marked so I know they are wired properly. The old 4 way didn't have in / out labeled though, and the screws are all the same color. I guess it must be the 4 way. I'll have to borrow a tracer from a buddy to figure out what goes where.

Old 06-10-08, 07:37 PM
all you need to do is pull all four wires out of box and look to see what two are int the same jacket that will be one pair and the other two in the same jacket will be your other pair .no need to trace anything.

Old 06-10-08, 09:34 PM
Take the two wires that are now on the top of the 4-way. Put them on the two screws on the left side. Then put the two wires that were on the bottom of the 4-way on the two screws on the right side. Then test again.

Old 06-10-08, 09:44 PM
Is any chance can you tell me the brand name of the four way switch is ??

Myself and few members can able dail in pretty good once we know what name brand it is.

For most fourway's switch pattern there is only two ways to get hit right on the pattern.

Just follow John Nelson's way how to do it that is the most common way to dealt with it.

Oh by the way just want to head up some four way switch can be actally a double pole single throw switch also { if ya can find the model number then we can able dail down more closer to the target }

Merci,Marc

Old 06-14-08, 08:53 AM
Thanks,
I've got it wired properly now. I basically ended up doing what John Nelson suggested. The old 4 way switch was a Bryant with no markings. The new 4 way is a Leviton, which is marked.

I used a tracer which I'm glad I did because one of the 3 ways had the common on the wrong terminal. I had assumed it was my wiring wrong on 4-way, which was part of the problem, but the 3-way had been previously wired wrong.

Thanks for your help, I am again in debt to the forum