Mains Breaker/Earth Leakage Breaker tripping??

Old 06-13-08, 12:24 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mains Breaker/Earth Leakage Breaker tripping??

Please assist with problem.

Last night i ran my fan heater (rated +/- 1.5kW), which has been done a few times before!

In the early morning my mains/earth leakage breaker tripped. On investigation i found that if i switched off the 1 Pole 15A breaker feeding the plugs in my house that the mains/earther leakage breaker would then stay on, as soon as trying to switch the 1 Pole breaker back on, the mains breaker would trip immediatley. Furthermore i tried unplugging all appliances and this did not improve the situation as the breaker still continued to trip. Another strange thing is that +/- 30 minutes later after leaving the 1P 15A breaker off and then switching it back on the mains breaker remaind on?? Unfortunatley +/- 45 minutes later the same problem mentioned above persisted again.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-08, 01:30 AM
F
Where ya located ?? the reason why i am little wondering due the word" earth leakage "

Anyway with this circuit what else is on the circuit ??

Do you have any chance you have outdoor receptale on this circuit as well ??

And how old is this house ?? { The reason why due we can able tell which way the wire were ran in that era.}

Merci,Marc

Old 06-13-08, 01:48 AM
O
Hi there,

Im actually based in SA. But it does not allow for this option when registering.

I assume you talking about the circuit feeding the plugs. General electric appliances, but as mentioned when this occured it was 3am in the morning so everything was off on that circuit besides ana alrm clock and the fan heater.

Excuse my ignorance but im not familiar with the term receptale.

The house is about 30 years old.

Thanks

Old 06-13-08, 07:53 AM
J
Please put your location in the "Location" field of your profile.

"Receptacle" is the official term for what many laymen call "outlet". It's the place where you plug your lamp or clock into.

Portable space heaters in general are very bad ideas, except for brief and occasional use while constantly monitored. Most of these things use us so much power that they cause a lot of electrical problems. And that's even if you are careful enough not to cause a fire with them.

You're probably going to need to inspect the wiring in every box on this circuit for problems.

Old 06-13-08, 09:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 83 Posts
Earth Leakage = Ground fault circuit Interrupter???

Old 06-13-08, 10:33 PM
F
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Earth Leakage = Ground fault circuit Interrupter???

Yep it is. They used the British Standard set up in South Afica. { some used French Standard set up as well }

Most of British ciruit is ring type not radial type circuit and the voltage is diffrent than what we see in USA/ Candian side is.

However you have some issue with that circuit something causing to trip the RCD { resdual current leakage detector } either hevey moisture in the junction box [ splice box ] or receptales [ outlet ] if they came out good then one of the applalince may have bad connection cause them to trip.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-14-08, 07:15 PM
D
See the following for info on Earth Leakage Breakers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_l...ircuit_breaker