Drill bits

Old 06-14-08, 08:46 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drill bits

I know this is probably the wrong forum for my question, but i kind of wanted an answer from people in the same field that i work in.

Today i was drilling a hole in some aluminum with my brand new cobalt dewalt drill bits, first time i've used them. Got to the second hole, 3/16 bit, snap, broke right in half, you would think for a 30 dollar set, they would be able to cut aluminum. And this got me thinking to ask around...

At work, we go through drill bits like candy. I normally buy standard dewalt drill bits, use them once or twice and then they're shot. We've also used Irwin bits, they're worse yet. My boss bought a kit that was some where around $120, titanium edge, every size imaginable. They've lasted the longest of all, but they're starting to junk out, but with bits sized every 1/32", its easy just to go to the next size bigger if that one is dull.

My question is, what do you guys use and what do you think is the best? We use ours on a lot of various steel and wood. Also a lot of stainless, but we're all pretty wise to use cutting oil on stainless.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-08, 09:03 PM
C
I believe IZAR makes the best bits available. I bought a 24-piece set and a bunch of individual bits on eBay a while back. I had a project that required drilling 32 7/16" holes in 1/4" flat steel bar. I figured I would go through several bits but one of these IZAR bits drilled them all and the last one wasn't much harder than the first. These are cobalt and made in Spain. However, I haven't seen them on eBay in quite a while.

Old 06-14-08, 10:31 PM
M
I would avoid the homeowner-grade bits that you find at home centers. Get industrial bits, such as Precision Twist Drill, from a machinist's supply house.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=319-0976

Old 06-15-08, 06:05 PM
N
it would seem to me that titanium bits look like the best option, i can't find anything tougher than that yet, just need a brand to go by...

Old 06-15-08, 07:03 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Anybody tried those bit sharpeners that look like pencil sharpeners?

Old 06-15-08, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Just watching this thread...but in workshop situations...I've seen lots of comments on the newer "Drill Doctors"..people seem pretty happy overall. Wanted one myself for my Birthday..today..50th!!!

Old 06-15-08, 07:30 PM
N
i've tried the drill doctor, and was not very impressed with it.