sump pump ckt question???

Old 06-16-08, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sump pump ckt question???

Hello:

Due to all of the recent bad weather, I've decided to install a backup sump w/battery.

The current sump has a dedicated single ckt (with a single outlet) with a dedicated breaker - I'm not sure how many amps (my knowledge in electric very, very limited).

For the backup sump w/battery do I need to install another SEPRATE ckt with a breaker, OR can I plug a surge protector into the current sump ckt and then add the 2nd pump?

Thnaks for your advice in advance.
TOM

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-08, 09:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
We need three pieces of information: the existing circuit amps 15 or 20 (printed on the breaker handle), the amps required by the existing pump which should be stamped into a metal plate somewhere on the pump motor, and the amps required by the new pump which should be listed on the spec sheet or stamped on the motor itself. If you can't find amp ratings on the motors horsepower rating is okay.

Most sump pumps are small enough that two on a circuit would be okay, but it's of course best to verify that with the numbers.

Old 06-16-08, 09:14 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is the power for the second pump only for a battery charger? If so we need the amp draw or wattage of the 120v side of the battery charger.