Zinsco Breaker Panel

Old 06-16-08, 07:09 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Zinsco Breaker Panel

There is an old Zinsco Panel installed on our home. 42 years old. The main breaker, 100 AMPs got stuck and I was not able to reset the breaker. The electrician I called had difficulties raising the red bar which holds down the breakers. He damaged the breaker and it had to be replaced at a total cost of $350. Question #1: Is there a proper way to lift the breaker hold down bar? #2. The electrician worked for 3 hrs. The total cost incl. a new or recon. breaker. Is this normal or excessive?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-08, 07:17 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Giger View Post
Is there a proper way to lift the breaker hold down bar? #2.
In my opinion the only reasonable remedy for Zinsco is replacement. The design is defective and they are a borderline hazard.

The electrician worked for 3 hrs. The total cost incl. a new or recon. breaker. Is this normal or excessive?
That sounds reasonable to me. Zinsco has not been manufactured for a very long time so the recond. breaker dealers have a corner on the market. The breaker itself was probably well over $100.

Old 06-17-08, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure what your 100 amp breaker would cost you locally. I poked around the internet and found prices from about $150 to $250. More important, I found this article about the subject of Zinsco breakers and panels:

http://www.inspect-ny.com/electric/Zinsco.htm#Zinsco9