electrical ceiling light question

Old 06-18-08, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electrical ceiling light question

I wanted to replace the light in a closet with another one. So I bought an inexpensive ceiling light at lowes tonight.

Well, the strap that came with the light doesn't match up with the ceiling box -- seems like the strap is too small. The distance between the screws that attach to the box is about 2.75'' inches while the attachments points on the box are about 3.5'' apart. I'm wondering if there is some sort of adapter available or maybe a larger strap is available for purchase down at the hardware store? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-08, 05:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Before you go too far, is the light an exact replacement type? Closets have their own code regulations, and you can't have an exposed incandescent bulb where the broken hot filament can possibly fall on clothing items. As far as your strap, why not use the one you had on the old light fixture? But, yes, there are longer straps available at hardware stores.

Old 06-19-08, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Let's see, the original light had a bare, exposed, bulb. The replacement I purchased yesterday has the bulb enclosed by a globe. I HATE the bare bulb and don't want to see it in my closet, trust me.

And the original light was not attached with a strap. Only one of the two screws were attached to the box; the light sort of hung at a funny angle.

I'll look for another strap today.

Old 06-19-08, 11:00 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Something doesn't sound right. Mounting hardware with the light should fit standard 3" and 4" ceiling box. I've ranted more then once about mounting brackets and screws that aren't true 8-32 or 6-32. Sounds like they are putting in something not made for US use or you are looking at it wrong. Take it back and complain. (Of course I'm assuming you have a correct ceiling box to mount to.)