rewire jacuzzi 110 to 220

Old 06-19-08, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rewire jacuzzi 110 to 220

Hello, new here, I recently bought a rather old used jacuzzi and started fixing it up a little, I believe the brand is K7 or something like that. It has a built in heater but from what ive been told (and ill believe it until proven otherwise) the tub is capable of running on both 110 and 220, it is currently wired for 110. The problem is the heater puts out very little heat its not even noticeable after hours of being on. Im getting a new heating element which is dual 110/220 to make sure its not the element itself that puts out so little but ive read that in 110 mode it puts out 1.5kw while in 220v its 6kw, seems like a big difference. So I was wondering, if the element replacement doesnt help whether its possible to rewire this thing to 220? Ive got a dedicated pool filter 220 line right next to the tub that i could use for power. Would i have to check all the pieces under the tub, ex. pump to see it they list both 220 and 110 to proceed? The only other things are the heater itself, some control boxes, filter assembly....im not sure what else would have to be converted. Can anyone give me an idea on whether this is a really tough job or average (i mean ive installed ceiling fans and outlets in the house) and how one would go about getting started? Not crazy about having someone come in and spending $ if i might be able to do it myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-08, 10:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Doitmyself76 View Post
it puts out 1.5kw while in 220v its 6kw, seems like a big difference. So I was wondering, if the element replacement doesnt help whether its possible to rewire this thing to 220?
That is correct. An element will put out one-fourth of the heat when powered by 110V as it will when powered by 240V.

Ive got a dedicated pool filter 220 line right next to the tub that i could use for power.
Nope. The spa must have its own dedicated GFCI circuit installed; it cannot share with the pool or anything else.

Would i have to check all the pieces under the tub, ex. pump to see it they list both 220 and 110 to proceed?
No, it usually just requires setting up some configuration switches or jumpers in the tub's control module. It would be very useful for you to locate an installation manual from the manufacturer.

Can anyone give me an idea on whether this is a really tough job or average (i mean ive installed ceiling fans and outlets in the house) and how one would go about getting started?
I'd say that setting up the tub is the easy part compared to installing a proper 240V branch circuit to meet the needs of the tub and the safety requirements of the code.

Old 07-09-08, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ben, thanks for that reply. The situation has changed a bit, i bought a new heating element being pretty sure that the old one was actually bad (reset switch didnt work etc), i wired it as best i could for 110 and tried it. I see bubbles and the light goes on so im pretty sure its heating but those 1.5 kw are really nothing it might take days to heat up the water. So i really would like to go to 220. Now for the heating element the manual actually shows how to wire that for 220 or 110. But the control box for heater shares wires with filter etc, i was thinking if it didnt the filter and jets could stay on 110 since they work fine, and the heating element be redone for 220 according to new directions (i doubt there is a manual anywhere for hot tub the name is missing and there are no numbers). Only other option if the wires cant be separated would be to rewire everything for 220- is that really necessary? i dont even know if the pumps can be used on 220 and im not about to buy new ones. As for codes etc the 220 outlet for the pool is very heavy duty the pool is 36 ft with that circular plug that you have to twist to release, are you saying that couldnt be used for the spa heater if not used at same time (provided its far enough from tub and only one thing connected at a time). I'll probably get a guy to do this but i dont want to get ripped off so im hoping to find out the options i have.