outdoor wall lights install

Old 06-23-08, 03:19 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
outdoor wall lights install

I will be installing 3 outdoor wall lights on the front of my garage. To run the wire from the inside, I'll need to drill a 3/8" hole SIDEWAYS through ONE of five sandwiched 2x4's, which make up a supporting beam for the garage door spans. My question is: By drilling the hole SIDEWAYS through one of the five sandwiched studs, would this not weaken the one stud since a stud's sideways thickness is only 1-1/2 inch? Does the electrical Code address this?
Also, based on some of your earlier recommendations, I'll be using a four inch "pancake" box to accommodate 2 14-gauge wires in and out. Does the Code allow two 14-gauge wires in a four inch diameter pancake box?
Any and all ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-23-08, 05:49 PM
W
My 2000 IRC says if the joist height is D, then the max hole size is D/3 but the hole needs to be 2" minimum from the edges of the joist.

Old 06-24-08, 06:23 AM
G
Well, from looking at the two lights between the three doors on my garage, it appears that they were installed in just this manner, there's a hole drilled directly through one of the uprights in the long direction, and the building inspector didn't have a problem with that installation here.

Old 06-24-08, 06:57 AM
W
Vertical members are not in bending, only in compression. Different rules. I'll see if I can find the IRC rule for this.

Old 06-24-08, 07:17 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by billyg1954
I'll need to drill a 3/8" hole SIDEWAYS through ONE of five sandwiched 2x4's, which make up a supporting beam for the garage door spans.
For reference, a beam is a horizontal member, a column is vertical. If the 2x4's are nailed together, resulting in a stiffened column, then a 3/8" hole will not result in a significant weakening. Cross nailing above and below the hole will better share any tension or compression loads. Also, I would not assume all loads here are compression, especially in a earthquake or high wind area. Uplift loads are an issue where I live, for instance.

Old 06-24-08, 09:25 AM
W
Drilling and notching - a novella

Any load bearing stud may be cut or notched <25% of its 3-1/2" "depth" (non bearing, <40%) of a single stud width.

A load bearing stud can be bored or drilled with a hole dia. <40% (<60% for non load) of the stud width.

The edge of the hole >5/8" from the stud edge, and the hole not lining up with a notch or cut.

Load bearing: if the hole is between 40% and 60% of the stud depth then that stud must be doubled, but no more than two successive studs are then doubled and bored.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: