Adding Separate Switches

Old 06-29-08, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Separate Switches

Hi,
I have a question about switches. I currently have 1 at the top of my basement stairs and one more switch down the basement. I removed the cover to the light switch and see 3 sets wires running into the box. I have 3 black 3 white 1 pink or red... and 3 grounds.

Down my basement I have a total of 4 lights. I want to run these lights off of 3 switches.

*** wow I hope I'm not losing anyone at this point ***

So here is my question....

The 3 sets of wires inside the box can those go on different switches???

I think they cant but I could be wrong...

Thoughts??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-08, 10:37 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You'll need to add extra wires. You might want to run one of the original lights on the existing three way switch and separate the other three from the circuit. Simplest would be to run power to each of the three remaining lights and a switch loop from each one. Local code may require one of the lights to be on a three way switch due to the stairs so you have no option with that one. You could probably just put single location switches for the others to keep it a bit simpler.

P.S. "Question" is not a good subject line. Almost every post here is a question. It's best to use a very short summation of your problem to attract those who might be familiar with the subject. Example: "Adding Separate Switches".

Old 06-30-08, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the reply and the advise on the subject line.

The four light I currently have would they all be grouped in a single location? and then going to the light switch?

Old 06-30-08, 09:33 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The four light I currently have would they all be grouped in a single location? and then going to the light switch?
You'll have to open each light to be sure but best guess they are daisy chained. Switched power goes to first light then from there to the second light and so on. It is at this point you would want to break the circuit for the first light to remain on the first switch and to connect an always on power source to the other three. To each of those three you would add a 14-2 0r 12-2 cable that goes to a switch. for it (switch loop).

You will have to check at the switch box to determine if there is an always hot cable. If so and there isn't one at the lights then the above is probably correct.