380V 3P Motor to 240V

Old 07-01-08, 10:19 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
380V 3P Motor to 240V

My friend got a machine from China that is 380V 3phase. Is it possible to wire this machine for 240V?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Attila

Old 07-01-08, 10:56 AM
F
Yes and No Depending on the #'s of wire comming out of the motor itself

If 3 wires comming out of the motor the answer is no they can used only voltage per nameplated called for

If 6 wire it might be a doable but need the nameplate on the motor and if have wiring diagram on the name plate that will help alot

9 wire is more common with NEMA motors pretty easy to do that

12 wire are found in both NEMA and IEC motors they can work either format

But the 380 V motor can work with 480 volts due the V/HZ ratio is same but it will make the motor run more faster

Before you do anything please get the nameplate info here first before we can able do the safe manner.

And the control voltage if the machine do have it

Merci,Marc

Old 07-01-08, 10:57 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Unless this is a nice 9-wire or 12-wire motor, you cannot use this machine in North America without a transformer which would probably exceed the cost of the machine. You should be able to take the specs to a domestic motor shop however and they can probably find a 240V 1 phase motor that you can swap into the machine.

Old 07-01-08, 11:05 AM
F
Just wonding what kind of machine this is for ??

as Ibpooks mention there he did make good point there and myself I am orginally from France and I used to see alot of 6 wire motors they are used for Delta/Wye start set up

This part is kinda compated and right now I will withhold the explaintion for now until I know more about this first.

If the motor is belt driven it very easy to swap the motor to more proper one for correct voltage.

Majorty of small machines useally are wired for single phase.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: