Changing location (and splice) of LV lighting

Old 07-02-08, 05:14 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Changing location (and splice) of LV lighting

I have a set of Malibu Low Voltage outdoor lights (I'm in the US, I think it's a 24 volt system).

The system is installed and working fine but I'm doing some landscape renovations that will require that some of the lights be moved.

My lights are connected to the main cable run using the included crimp type malibu connector that came attached to the light's cable (black and grey two piece connector that is pressed together sinking teeth into the main power cable).

Can I remove the crimp connectors and then recrimp them to another place on the main power cable? If so do I need to seal the holes/slices left in the cable from the original placement? I believe the crimps can be release from the cable using a small screw driver to release the lock clips but I wasn't sure if I needed to seal the location where the old crimps were connected.

The main power cable lays on the surface of the ground under landscape mulch and rock so it's not actually burried in the soil.

I don't want to risk and stray electricity in the ground since these are near my pool (but beyond the manufacturer's recommended 10' distance).

Thanks for any help in advance.

Phantomandy
North Central Kentucky, USA

Old 07-02-08, 05:40 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you look, you will probably find that the end of the cable after the last light is open/exposed.
We have always just squirted some silicone on the puncture wounds to keep water from getting into the cable.

Old 07-02-08, 11:35 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It will be wise idea to put a little sicone to seal up the punture holes on the low voltage cables.

Majorty of the low voltage luminaires useally are 12 volts type but once a while may snag up a 24 volt verison but not often.

Just keep in your mind with the Low Voltage luminaires the further it away from the transfomer it will be dimmer than the first one from the transfomer.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: