Three-way Dimmer With Two Fixtures... Only Dims One Light

Old 07-01-08, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Three-way Dimmer With Two Fixtures... Only Dims One Light

I tried installing a three-way dimmer on a three-way circuit that controls two lighting fixtures yesterday. (Two switches, two lights...) When I flipped the power back on and tested the installation, only one of the two fixtures was dimming. I thought maybe I had misidentified the common wire, so i shut everything down and and switched the wires - but the same thing still happened.

Anyone know why this might be happening? Could this lighting circuit possible be wired wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-08, 08:09 PM
Need more details. When you say that only one of the fixtures was dimming, exactly what do you mean? Can the dimmer still turn both fixtures on and off, but one of them stays at full brightness regardless of the dimmer setting?

Did you just install one dimmer?

Do both of the fixtures have the same kind of bulbs?

Please describe all the wires and connections in the box where you put the dimmer. Be sure to include all the wires in the box, not just the ones connected to the dimmer.

Old 07-02-08, 08:01 AM
Yes - the switch was turning both on and off, but was only dimming one - the other stayed at full brightness. And yes, I only installed one dimmer switch.

HOWEVER, they were not the same type of bulbs. A user on another forum ased if I was using CF bulbs and a "light bulb" went off. I hadn't even thought of that, and in fact I had just chnaged the bulbs in the fixture that would not dim... duh...