5 pins tact switch change

Old 07-02-08, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
5 pins tact switch change

So I am doing a renovation on an old CRT monitor. Making it look completely different and more...interesting?! Anyways, I wanted to change the switch in it to a spst toggle switch. The only problem is, the toggle switch has two pins to solder to (since its spst...) and the tact switch as five pins... So the question is "what to solder where!?" I take it that one pin on the tact switch is the ground (the big silver one leading to the green wire...I'm sure I'm right..but I have been wrong before... So anyways, if anyone can offer some advice, I'd be grateful!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-08, 05:11 AM
I assume there is no power to the monitor; if not, unplug it.
I would think you could test for continuity between each of the 5 terminals with the current switch in one position and then in the other position to see when continuity is restored for each terminal. This might help to define which wires belong on which leg of the SPST. Otherwise, a wiring diagram would obviously be helpful; have you tried to google for that?
You may make magic smoke when you fire it up the first time. Good luck!

Old 07-02-08, 01:46 PM
You must deal with people a lot, I was always taught to assume they are stupid, that way I am not surprised.

So would some pics help?:

I believe the power button is easily found...but again I have been wrong before. The more I look at it I am guessing the green and yellow wires are data cables, and the red and black are self evident. However the black wire with the green and yellow I believe is the power -.

So does this help any? If not its all good, but figured I'd give it a try!

Old 07-02-08, 04:40 PM
Kinda hard to tell from the photos where the red and black wires' attachments on the cb go to after they are soldered to the cb. Where do these wires go to from this cb? Does that give any clue as to what they do?
b

Old 07-03-08, 06:54 AM
The two wires go onto the main board of the monitor thats under the screen (the wires there have a little molex connector on the end not shown that plugs into the mainboard).

Old 07-03-08, 10:34 AM
The Green Yellow Black wires run the indicator LED.

The red black wires sense the buttons. The way that works is that there is a number of resistors in series between the red and black lines. Pressing a button "grounds" a point in the resistor chain, and the controller senses which button is pressed by measuring the current going through the resistor chain.

To add an external pushbutton, you simply need to connect it to the pair of terminals on the PCB. If you want to eliminate the PCB, you have to fake that resistor chain with the tap you need, using a coupe of correctly chosen resistors.

To use a latching push button switch on that circuit, you need to remove the latch pin.

Old 07-03-08, 12:42 PM
yeah, what he said. Looks like you've found someone who can help.
B

Old 07-03-08, 10:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What is a "tact switch"?