4 Prong Out To 3 Prong Dryer

Old 07-04-08, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
4 Prong Out To 3 Prong Dryer

Hekp

My outlet is a 4 prong and the dryer cord is a three. I purchased a 3 prong outlet but, I have 4 wires in the box. Love to know this! Then it is done.

What do I do with the remaining wire? Is it hot?

Most DIY seem to indicate that I should rewire the dryer cord to a 4

Is there an easy adaptor to plug the dryer 3 into an adopter, then to the oitlet 4
Help

Last edited by FGSOCALA; 07-04-08 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-08, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by FGSOCALA View Post
Most DIY seem to indicate that I should rewire the dryer cord to a 4
That is the correct course of action. Leave the four-prong receptacle as-is, and replace the cord set on the dryer with a four-prong. Be sure to remove the bonding strap inside the dryer when you install the new cord.

Old 07-04-08, 05:49 PM
Return the 3-prong cord and plug and buy a 4-prong cord and plug. Home centers and appliance stores sell both, usually right next to each other. Return the 3-hole receptacle as well and buy a 4-hole receptacle.

Be sure to very carefully read the installation instructions for your dryer and do exactly what it says for a 4-wire connection.

The added bonus of doing it right and to code is that it will also be safer for you and your family.

Old 07-06-08, 11:52 AM
Thank You

Great advice but, I wired the new cord to the dryer and bang!

Shorted out, my bad!

The dryer has the below setup

Green to dryer itself
red
white
no coler detected

the cord has the below setup;
red
white
black
green

I went white to white
green to the green on dryer
red to red
black to the no color detected

The house remains in it's foundation. HELP

Old 07-06-08, 12:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 27 Posts
With the age of a 4 wire feed to your dryer it should be easy to detect some color on the insulation.

Did the dryer actually have wires to attach to or was it a terminal strip?

Old 07-06-08, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That should've worked as long as none of the wires were touching each other or the dryer. I'd turn the power off and make sure the receptacle is wired correctly.

Old 07-07-08, 04:17 AM
Recepticle

The rec is labeled white and green. The other spots are unlabeled so I screwed a green in one and a ground in the other.

My tester indicates power?

Old 07-07-08, 04:24 AM
Pcboss

The dryer had the cord with three wires and the dryer has slots where each wirs was screwed in.

Screw in slots (3)
Dryer ? White Red

Also, a green wire from the dryer that screwed into the side of the dryer.

Cord Black White Red

Also, the cord had agreen wire that I attached to the screw in the dryer wall. That screw now holds the Dryer green and the cord green Touching etc

Old 07-07-08, 06:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 27 Posts
The rec is labeled white and green. The other spots are unlabeled so I screwed a green in one and a ground in the other.

My tester indicates power?
You say you bought a 3 prong receptacle but you describe something with places for 4 wires which does not jibe.

What color are the 2 unlabeled screws?

What 2 color wires are connected to the breaker? Using a 4 wire setup they should be red and black. The wire and bare should go to the neutral buss.

Old 07-07-08, 07:25 AM
Pcboss

No! I have a 4 prong rec, a 3 wire dryer cord.

I am seeking to install a 4 wire cord for the dryer

Initially, I was going to install a 3 hole outlet but was advised against. I then put the 4 hole back in the box. I bet I switched the two wires around. The rec clearly noted One was the groung and the other green. Could this be the issue. As my sight is poor, I did not observe the silver screw in the rec.

I will check this. Could it be the cause?

Old 07-07-08, 08:45 AM
Ipbooks

What is the strap you are refering to?

I assume it is not the green wire that is screwed into the dryer wall.

Old 07-07-08, 09:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
At the receptacle:

The red and black wires go to the hot terminals X and Y. The hot terminals are the ones that correspond with the straight blades. It doesn't matter which one is red and which one is black.

The white wire goes to the terminal marked W with a silver colored screw. This terminal is the one that corresponds with the "L" shaped blade in the bottom position.

The bare wire goes to the green or exposed terminal which corresponds with the round hole on the front. Usually it's in the top or up position.

At the dryer:

Most dryers have a strip of three screw terminals. Red and black usually go on the outsides and white goes on the inside. That's not always the case, but typical for many dryers. Other indicators would be a silver colored screw for the white terminal.

There should also be a strap, wire or screw that connects the white terminal to the metal dryer frame. This bond should be disconnected from the white screw terminal and instead connect to the green wire from the cord to the metal frame in its place.

Old 07-07-08, 10:23 AM
Do you have the installation instructions for your dryer? If so, please read them carefully. If not, you need them. They are often available on the web, or, if not, from the manufacturer.

Old 07-07-08, 12:29 PM
ibpooks

Now I am getting scared! Your thread was fantastic but,
it (outlet)looks exactly as I have wires it. I will double check everything.

This has become a true mystery.

I was hoping that X & Y on the recepticle had to be a specific colored wire etc and I had reversed them. As they can be any of the two remainig wires ( green & white are taken) I am at a loss.

Old 07-07-08, 01:15 PM
In addition to wiring the receptacle correctly, and to wiring the cord correctly, you also must wire the dryer correctly.

Old 07-07-08, 10:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What is the strap you are refering to?

I assume it is not the green wire that is screwed into the dryer wall.
If that green wire is tied to the silver screw on the terminal strip yes. It would be removed from the terminal strip and only the white from the cord and dryer white would go there. The green of the cord would go to the side of the dryer in place of the green. If not long enough you can leave the green on the wall of the dryer and wire-nut to the cord green.

Also check the connections at the breaker box.

Old 07-08-08, 04:10 AM
Ray2047

If you look below at the picture, you can see the bonding strap easily. On my dryer, I see a green wire come from somewhere in the dryer and being screwed down to the dryer wall.

if this is the strap, we have it made. Previously, I left it there and also tied thr dryer cord green to the same screw. I believe this may be the problem. I verified all else is wired as directed.

I will advise, Thanks

Old 07-08-08, 08:53 AM
I was hoping that X & Y on the recepticle had to be a specific colored wire etc and I had reversed them. As they can be any of the two remainig wires ( green & white are taken) I am at a loss.

The X and Y is hot conductor spot which either black or red wire will land in there.

If you have volt meter if you read the X and W it will read 120 v while the Y and W it will read 120 volts now if you read X and Y it will read 240 volts which this is a correct set up while the G is ground normally used with either bare or green wire and if you read the G and W it will useally read 0 volts that is correct setup but any other numbers you have to trace this wire to find out why something is mess up.

If you have something like bleu or other colour please holler here fast we will guide ya in here. { those colours will sometime show up if you run the conduit [pipe] and sometime electrician used diffrent colours wire for some reason }

Merci,Marc

Old 07-08-08, 09:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
On my dryer, I see a green wire come from somewhere in the dryer and being screwed down to the dryer wall.
In that case please disregard my previous post. That does not sound like a bonding strap. It should not be removed.

Old 07-08-08, 02:33 PM
Ray

What else can it be : a green wire coming from the inside and attaching to the dryer wall. It is possible that it attaches to the white slot but, I cannot see it?

Old 07-09-08, 04:18 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
At the receptacle:

The red and black wires go to the hot terminals X and Y. The hot terminals are the ones that correspond with the straight blades. It doesn't matter which one is red and which one is black.

The white wire goes to the terminal marked W with a silver colored screw. This terminal is the one that corresponds with the "L" shaped blade in the bottom position.

The bare wire goes to the green or exposed terminal which corresponds with the round hole on the front. Usually it's in the top or up position.

At the dryer:

Most dryers have a strip of three screw terminals. Red and black usually go on the outsides and white goes on the inside. That's not always the case, but typical for many dryers. Other indicators would be a silver colored screw for the white terminal.

There should also be a strap, wire or screw that connects the white terminal to the metal dryer frame. This bond should be disconnected from the white screw terminal and instead connect to the green wire from the cord to the metal frame in its place.
My wiring is exacyly as above. I have power to the recepticle but, the dryer will not start?

I wonder if there is a breaker in the dryer that has been tripped?

Old 07-09-08, 08:42 AM
I have power to the recepticle but, the dryer will not start?
How did you verify power to the receptacle? What kind of test device did you use and how did you use it? Do you have both 240-volt power and 120-volt power?

Does anything at all work? Does the light inside the drum come on when you open the door? When you set the timer, does it emit a faint hum?

Old 07-09-08, 06:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the wiring gets all sorted out here, and still nothing works, you may want to start asking questions in our appliances forum here.