Possible wiring issues with Dayton motor

Old 07-05-08, 06:45 AM
J
JAB
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Possible wiring issues with Dayton motor

I have two possible issues that may be related:

I inherited an old contractor’s Craftsman table saw with a newer Dayton 6k765 (AA) 115/230 motor that was wired for 115 volts, 18.2 amps. I wired a new 20 amp circuit to my garage and when plugged in, it runs even if the switch (a standard light switch mounted on its leg) is turned off. I’ve since added a ground-fault outlet as the first outlet on that circuit and an addition outlet where I planned on using the saw. Now, when I plug in the saw, the ground-fault immediately trips. I likely need to back up and fix the on/off issue then figure out the ground-fault issue, but they may be both related to a problem with the motor or wiring so I’m presenting both issues for now.

The wiring diagram on the label shows:
P1 to Line; P2, T8, and T3 to Tape; and T2, T5, and T4 to Line

The P1 wire is wired to the ground. The three “Tape” wires (whatever that is) are wired together as are the last group of three wires. In the switch box, the white wire is run through the switch.

Last edited by JAB; 07-05-08 at 06:47 AM. Reason: format problems
Old 07-05-08, 07:02 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB
I have two possible issues that may be related:

The wiring diagram on the label shows:
P1 to Line; P2, T8, and T3 to Tape; and T2, T5, and T4 to Line

The P1 wire is wired to the ground. The three “Tape” wires (whatever that is) are wired together as are the last group of three wires. In the switch box, the white wire is run through the switch.

The P1 should not be grounded to the motor frame due it will trip the GFCI quick. { this is a motor thermal protection it have to be wired in series with one of the line } { it will marked P1 and P2 If have colour leads the P1 will have no colour marking while the P2 is Brown]

I will give a quick run down with rest of color codes

1-Bleu
2-White
3-Orange
4-Yellow
5-Black
6 NCA { no colour assigned }
7 NCA
8-Red

for line one [ hot or netural depending on the nameplate and hook up ] 1,3,8.

For line two 2,4,8 but if motor run backward reverse the 5 and 8

The P1 should be incomming line while the P2 will tied with line one [ 1,3,8. ]
That should slove your issue right there unless diffrent please do speak up we will go from there.

Oh yeah the green wire from the cord will be on the motor frame for grounding useage.

Merci,Marc

Right now If I am reading itright you are on 120 v connecton

Old 07-05-08, 12:47 PM
J
JAB
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply. I think you mistakenly listed line 8 twice and left off line 5. Also, I'm assuming lines 6 & 7 are not used since I don't have wires with that label and you listed them as no color assigned. JAB

Last edited by JAB; 07-05-08 at 12:48 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 07-05-08, 09:18 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks for correcting me I did make a typo I did not double check this moring ohwell.,, let me listed the correct one

Hot conductor {L1- P1} then {P2, 1,3,8 all together }

Netrual conductor {L2- 2,4,5} [ { } = wirenutted ]

But for the P1 and P2 follow my above comment

For any reason why if the motor run backwards just swap the 5 and 8

The 6 and 7 is only used for Capaitor start and Cap run motor connection senice you only have Capaitor start so you don't have to worry about that part.

Unless the motor do have diffrent diagram please let me know myself or other members here can chime in and give you the correct way if that happend.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: