Outlet is no longer working

Old 07-05-08, 12:39 PM
TSH
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Outlet is no longer working

I have a standard wall outlet (3 prong), my Washing Machine was plugged into it and running, then all of a sudden the Washing Machine went dead. I plugged the Washing Machine into another outlet and it works fine.

There is one other Outlet (the Dryer Outlet), a Light, and a Ventilation Fan, connected to the same circuit, these work fine.

I reset the Breaker Switch, and the outlet still does not work.

What could have caused my outlet to fail? should I replace the outlet?

All other outlets/lights in the house work fine.

Tim

Last edited by TSH; 07-05-08 at 01:02 PM. Reason: clarification needed
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-08, 03:12 PM
This is unlikely in your circumstance, but just to be sure....find all the GFCI outlets in your house...bathroom, kitchen, garage, etc. See if one of them needs to be reset.

Other than that, the next likely suspect is that a wire has come loose on your outlet. ALso, that outlet could be fed from another outlet nearby,....so the connection could be bad at that end. Start with the outlet where the WM is plugged in.

Old 07-06-08, 06:23 PM
TSH
Question Outlet is no longer working

[QUOTE=594tough;1391992]This is unlikely in your circumstance, but just to be sure....find all the GFCI outlets in your house...bathroom, kitchen, garage, etc. See if one of them needs to be reset.

I fixed the problem. With a little help from 594tough, helped me whittle the problem down to a faulty receptacle. I replaced the receptacle, then put in the Circuit Tester, it kept reading Open Ground and also Open Neutral. It turns out as I was installing the Receptacle, the White Wire came loose a bit, and the ground wire (uninsulated copper wire) was not wrapped tightly enough around the screw at the back. Sometimes those Outlet Boxes can be quite a tight fit. All is well! thanks!

Last edited by TSH; 07-06-08 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Problem Solved