ceiling fan problem

Old 07-05-08, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceiling fan problem

I have installed a ceiling fan w/ light. The fan works fine and can be turned on and off by wall switch, but the light stays on continually. There must be a problem in the way it is wired. The junction box has 3 cable lines coming in and each cable has 4 wires, one black,one white,one red, and one copper. I think the wiring is referred to as a "daisy chain" I have connected the black wire from fan to black wire in junction box, white to white and blue wire from fan to red wire in junction box. Where do I go wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-08, 07:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! How were the wires in each cable connected in the box before you took it apart? Somewhere you have to identify the switch loop for the light (red). How many switches(locations)control the fan/light?

Old 07-05-08, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As Chandler gave good point is how many switch it is on the wall and if only single switch how did the wire are hook up ?

Merci,Marc

Old 07-06-08, 08:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
If you switch the light wire from the fan, usually black with a white stripe or blue, to the red from the ceiling the switch will control the light.

Move the black from the fan to the ceiling black and you can use the pull chains to operate the fan.