Lost Circuit

Old 07-06-08, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lost Circuit

I have a circuit that serves the master bath, several outlets (one is GFCI) and my freezer. I have replaced the GFCI with no results. There is apparently an open circuit somewhere. Dois anyone have an idea on how to locate the problem? No breaker blew but I think I know which one it is. There are two which I cannot identify what they control. Both have wires connected and have 120 VAC on the load side of the breaker. This is a manufactured home that has been substantially customized.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-08, 07:44 PM
Well, while you've got your panel cover off, take your meter and run down every breaker in your panel and make sure you've got 120v, just to eliminate the fact that it could be a different breaker.

Ok so now thats done, and if that ok, i'd kill the power to the circuit in question....then go from outlet to outlet, chances are you're going to find the problem there. If there are any outlets that are "back-stabbed", the wires simply pushed in the back, take them out, and wrap the wire around the outlet screw instead. Many, many times I've found bad connections with back-stabbed outlets. Give that a shot, let us know, gl.

Old 07-06-08, 08:14 PM
You either have an open hot or an open neutral. A simple $8 outlet tester will tell you immediately which one. That will cut your search in half.

Old 07-06-08, 09:54 PM
Question

Where do you not have power? The freezer? The masterbathroom? The Gfi? The other outlets? The entire circuit? Is the Gfi wired Line and load?

Last edited by sidecutter; 07-06-08 at 09:56 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-06-08, 10:20 PM
It pretty common for manufactered and mobile home to used back stabbed repceptales and backstabbed switches so if you find them move them to the screw setup.

Now the other possiblty if they have pigtailed wires somecase the wirenuts or crimp sleeve can get loosen over the time and can cause failure as well.

Also check the luminaire juction box that is one other common location you will find partail failure as well.

Merci,Marc